Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about purchasing an 1999 r1. I am meeting with the owner this saturday. He is asking for 4,250 OBO for the bike that has 16,000 miles with a few cosmetic upgrades according to the add. Looking at the pictures of the bike lt looks like it is really nice shape. I know the bike books in at 3,000 and I'm not really willing to pay a lot more than the book value.(hoping i can talk him down a lot) I'm wondering what you guys thought. thanks.............

Attachments

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya, the add was posted on a local classified site.( NorthDakota ) I really didn't get into any details with him threw text because he only lives about 10 mins away and he agreed to meet with me this saturday. I don't know anything about the bike. What should i look for as far as problems that this year might of had that i should look for?

· Is this thing ON???
290 Posts
The blue book doesn't really take into consideration the condition or mileage of the bike... it's just a general guidline... Different areas have different values...

But in my opinion he's asking too much... and I would offer somewhere in the $3000 range depending on how it looks in person.. Mods are done to a particular person's taste & do not really add any value to the bike...

· 14k+ posts and not one helpful
14,358 Posts
Price sounds WAY high. Bike looks pretty good though from the pictures.

· Horsepower whisperer
2022 Yamaha YZF-R1 60th WGP Anniversary Edition
2,023 Posts
Yup. About a grand too much. I see plenty of (fuel infected) '02s & '03s around here for about $4k.

· Registered
2,185 Posts
Shes damn clean for a 99 but hes on crack if he wants $4k for that. Unless you really like that body style i would look around more. You should be able to find a nice 02-04 for around $4k. The 02-03 is still a beast and tbh it still looks current even after 10 years.

· Horsepower whisperer
2022 Yamaha YZF-R1 60th WGP Anniversary Edition
2,023 Posts
Shes damn clean for a 99 but hes on crack if he wants $4k for that. Unless you really like that body style i would look around more. You should be able to find a nice 02-04 for around $4k. The 02-03 is still a beast and tbh it still looks current even after 10 years.
:werd:
I put 25,000+ on a '02. Loved it. Now looking to get another '02/'03. I prefer low exhaust.
I get enough of a hot ass with my Daytona 675R.

· Thread killer...
2,551 Posts
He may be able to get that price as this is the best time to be selling bikes, but he will have to run into someone who really wants that specific model. I would say closer to $3000. I got my 04 for $3300. The body work wasn't as nice, but it has 6k less miles, and 5 less years of wear and tear. That and I have sworn off carburetors for good... :D

· Registered
710 Posts
I couldn't agree more, I had an 03 and it had some of the SEXIEST lines ever
on a bike.. ( see my Avatar)
<<<------------

I always regret selling my bike.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.