Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Why would anyone eat an R1?
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says. Bike is a 2011 R1 with 12K miles.

Neutral light stays on while bike is in gear and clutch is in, once you let out the clutch, the light goes off.. may flicker here and there and pop on while riding/cruising. Bike rides normally and shifts normally.

Any ideas what to check/try?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I had the same on my 2011 Raven, interested to hear the resolution.

Mine just fixed itself after about 48 hours? Weird!

·
Is there anybody out there?
4,001 Posts
As the title says. Bike is a 2011 R1 with 12K miles.

Neutral light stays on while bike is in gear and clutch is in, once you let out the clutch, the light goes off.. may flicker here and there and pop on while riding/cruising. Bike rides normally and shifts normally.

Any ideas what to check/try?
More than likely it's a bad or sticking switch. Pull it out and check it. It's located on the rear of the engine. Real easy to find.

Mark
99 R1

·
Registered
259 Posts
What does it look like? I will go take a look now!
It was happening with me when it was really really wet so I thought it was just an electrical gremlin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm experiencing same problem. Not sure if anyone has figured this issue out yet, but if so, I would sure like to know the source.
The first time this happened to me was after I had washed it. Neutral light on and flickering. I had noticed a little bit of different situation too. Not sure if anyone has had this issue accompanying the neutral light, but with key on and off switch on, fuel pump ran constantly. Sometimes the fuel pump would kick on with key off and on/off switch off. I also had the fuse blow for one of my fans. I took bike to Yamaha and they told me I needed new ecm. I took the bike home, put it up and next time I got it out everything was fine.
Next, bike sat during a rain storm and same problem. Let it dry a few days and everything's good.
Does anyone know what the heck is getting wet causing this issue? Sounds like this is a common problem with the r1. Any input would be appreciated.
....also, I replaced the gear selector switch that signals neutral light. That was wishful thinking over the ecm. In the wiring diagram, the neutral light, fuel pump, and engine fan all share a common circuit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts