Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 r1, my neutral light alway stays on while the bike is running or riding, you won't able the see the gear you're riding in! if I should turn the motor off and leave the key on the on position, everything works perfectly. the bike rides great! starts up fine in neutral or in gear. I changed my GPS( gear position sensor) but that wasn't the problem. any ideas?

·
Registered
80 Posts
maybe a disconnected wire from the back of the speedometer. the wires go from the gauge to the gps then into the ecu so the issue is got to be in one of those spots

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the bike is an the on position ( engine not running) it work just fine. The moment I start the engine kick stand up and in gage it in gear it stop working. I know all the plugs are good

·
R1 Forum Star
16,200 Posts
So it works if the engine is off but if the engine is on it only works while moving? Does the neutral light come back on when you stop?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The neutral light alway stays on. The only time it I can see what gear I'm in is when the engine is off key on the on position

·
R1 Forum Star
16,200 Posts
Being on doesnt make sense. It is a simple ground so running or not it should work the same. Not sure what it running would change in that particular circuit.

·
Registered
80 Posts
What is the voltage on the power wire going in to the gps when the bike is on but not running? And what is the voltage when it is on and running? I think with the bike running you may have a wire that is cut down 2 much and when it gets more power it can't handle it. Can you start the bike in gear clutch squeezed and kickstand up? What happens?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
226 Posts
I had a similar issue on my 2009 R1, ended up being a fried main relay, found in the tail section. Replaced it, gear indicator worked as normal.

Greg

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm having the same exact problem with 2010 r1 I can't find the problem I looked at everything I think it could be but with no results whn bike is running neutral is on and gear indicator on dash is off .whn bike is off it all works fine

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2010 r1, my neutral light alway stays on while the bike is running or riding, you won't able the see the gear you're riding in! if I should turn the motor off and leave the key on the on position, everything works perfectly. the bike rides great! starts up fine in neutral or in gear. I changed my GPS( gear position sensor) but that wasn't the problem. any ideas?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Didn't know if u received my text .I'm having the same problem with my bike it's also a 2010 yzf r1 .I can't seem to find out the problem .I was wondering if u have fixed it and if so please I need help .

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ivo, this thread is 7 years old bud. If you look at post #8 you will see that Greg had a similar problem and it turned out to be a relay in the tail. I don't know specifically how you will end up fixing yours. Electrical gremlins are always a pain. Good luck bud.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If the bike is an the on position ( engine not running) it work just fine. The moment I start the engine kick stand up and in gage it in gear it stop working. I know all the plugs are good
Ivo, this thread is 7 years old bud. If you look at post #8 you will see that Greg had a similar problem and it turned out to be a relay in the tail. I don't know specifically how you will end up fixing yours. Electrical gremlins are always a pain. Good luck bud.
Yea I noticed it after how long ago it was .but I was hoping someone had the same problem and could point me the right direction. I will look in to the relay .I thought it would be a relay somewhere but I didn't know we're .so I'll try that thanks very much

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yea I noticed it after how long ago it was .but I was hoping someone had the same problem and could point me the right direction. I will look in to the relay .I thought it would be a relay somewhere but I didn't know we're .so I'll try that thanks very much
Did you end up resolving it? I have a 2014, with basically the same issue. I'll get to the bottom of it eventually, but any insight I can find to shorten the steps would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts