Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Crash OverRide
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you really saving or selling your R1, just to get the new 04? I'm looking at from this way: I don't have a bike and I'm saving for a down payment. If a '03 is really cheap, finance, payments and blah blah. Then I'd but the 03. What do you really gain from the 04 than whats on 03 and 02??

·
GO CHIEFS!!!
6,870 Posts
02/03 if far more bike than most riders need... I consider myself a very good rider and can't use my ONE near its potential on the street....

If I was in the market for a new bike, I'd go with the 04 just to have the latest/greatest thing out there. Since I have an 02 that is only 1 year old, it ain't worth losing my ass to ride the latest thing.... I plan on holding onto mine for a few more years..

- BA

·
Action figure sold separately
12,225 Posts
Who said getting an 04 had to equate to selling the current bike? I still have my 87 FZR1000, no plans to sell it or the 00 R1. What for?

·
WERA/CCS #217
5,983 Posts
Most dealerships are selling the 03's for $8500 to $9000 to prepare for the 04's. You should have no problem locating an 04 for 9500 to 10000.

So to answer your question..

not just yeah..

BUT HELL YEAH..

the 04 R1 is the way to go..

for the upgrades alone..

not to mention the resale value should ever want to get rid of the bike..

all sportbikes are fast.. so dont go there with the '02/03 R1 is fast enough' talk.. because I'm going to go there with the 'skillz' talk

Jason Pridmore on 1997 Katana.. would dog any of us on our R1's
well on the track atleast..

Getting the 04 R1 is just a matter of having the latest/greatest/best.. and thats the type of guy I am

The 04R1 and ZX10 definitely look to be the best performing mass produced literbikes ever sold to the general public.. and I got the money to spend.. why not ride the best

·
Banned
706 Posts
:dunno Why buy new when you can do this to the ONE, you may or may not, already have!:rock You'll have to wait ATLEAST another year before you can get any aftermarket shiznit!!!:fact

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
i just got myself a new silver 03 r1. i got a really good deal on the it . since i dont need the latest and greatest i saved a couple of thousands buying the older model.

i love the looks of the 03 and the power is more than enough for my taste. plus i saved almost 4k$ :jump

·
Super Moderator
21,675 Posts
If you want a 02/03 here's what I would do. Just wait until next
spring or even late winter because the market will be flooded
with those year bikes. You should be able to find one with low
miles and in very good shape. Plus, chances are it will have many
mods done to it already. Trust me:fact people will be in a hurry
to unload their 02/03's just so they can get the baddest bike
out there. Sure, I'd love to have a 04 too, but it's just not very
practical for me do it. I've got my 03 the way I want it now and
I'll be keeping it to at least 06.

·
Registered
447 Posts
04 model is going to be great... Is it worth trading a 02/03? I guess it depends on how much money you have.. Losing you arse on you current bike is not worth the 04......

·
Bald headed dork
4,086 Posts
Eyespy said:
Who said getting an 04 had to equate to selling the current bike? I still have my 87 FZR1000, no plans to sell it or the 00 R1. What for?
I think what he meant was that he could only afford to have one bike at a time due to his financial situation. Most people I know only have one bike as well. If you can afford to keep all of the bikes you have and get a new one, that's great. You'll have some nice variety in the garage. BTW, did you own your FZR1000 from new? I saw the pics on your site and the bike looks great.

Cheers,
Scott

·
Press On
91 Posts
Yamaha Suzuki of Texas (Hurst) still wants MSRP for their '03 R1s. But that's just because they know retards will pay it rather than talking them down, which is probably easy. Probably all you gotta do if they're desperate (they will probably start getting that the closer it gets to '04) talk to them about it tell them what you wnt to pay (within reason) and if they say no then walk out. They know you can get it somewhere else cheaper but 8000 rather than MSRP is better than nothing at all to the dealers.

·
??????
448 Posts
hossegor said:
i just got myself a new silver 03 r1. i got a really good deal on the it . since i dont need the latest and greatest i saved a couple of thousands buying the older model.

i love the looks of the 03 and the power is more than enough for my taste. plus i saved almost 4k$ :jump

:iamwithst

·
Wh0 DiS?!
3,849 Posts
I am buying a new bike in '04. All of them look and sound great. The front looks very similar to my current R1. It's does'nt make sense for me to get the '04 R1.

I can buy any bike I want but the Honda seem a more track/race oriented bike. Honda finally made a bike that will get my dineros.

The weird part is that my Honda dealer is not accepting any deposits yet. :confused:

·
Young at heart
2,807 Posts
boomhauer said:
:dunno Why buy new when you can do this to the ONE, you may or may not, already have!:rock You'll have to wait ATLEAST another year before you can get any aftermarket shiznit!!!:fact
the cost of that you could buy at least 2 04 R1's. It does look nice though.

·
Young at heart
2,807 Posts
2 reasons to go 04. If you can afford it why not or if you have a clapped out 98 that burns a litre of oil every 1000k's. If you have just got an 03 then I would think maybe next year for the 05.

·
Action figure sold separately
12,225 Posts
sharkattack said:
I think what he meant was that he could only afford to have one bike at a time due to his financial situation. Most people I know only have one bike as well. If you can afford to keep all of the bikes you have and get a new one, that's great. You'll have some nice variety in the garage. BTW, did you own your FZR1000 from new? I saw the pics on your site and the bike looks great.

Cheers,
Scott
Well, it's not hard at all to own more than one. Once it's paid for (this will take more or less time depending on one's personal finances), it costs nothing (or next to nothing) to keep it while another bike is being purchased, but I understand your point.

Yes, I am the original owner of my FZR 1000, I have owned and ridden it all this time since it was brand new in '87. I had 6 years street riding experience on lesser bikes before I bought the FZR, first on a Yamaha XS400, than onto an 83 Honda 650 Nighthawk. If you recall, I am a proponent of starting small and moving up incrementally in power, performance, and displacement. I am also getting an 04 R1 in Feb.

·
Young and Stupid
2,310 Posts
boomhauer said:
ya, but i could mold any of those fairings once i have an 04.....

oh, and the questions, well, if you're going to lose your ass, no i don't think its worth it, but if you are starting fresh, yes i think it would be worth the extra 800...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts