Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Squid
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum, just got a late christmas present to myself, a 2008 r1 for 11,700 otd and 1000 for lojack. Hope I got a great deal, seems like I did decent considering they originally asked for 15000 otd. Prolly would have paid a lot more but this forum allowed me to go in prepared. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone in this community.

But I have another question.

Got them to give me an extra day to get the warrenty and service plans, wanted to get all your thoughts on if extended warrenty and service plans were worth it. 900 for +4 years on warrenty for total of 5 years and 2100 for full maintenance and service for 3 years. If i get both, I can problaby knock off a few hundred, but im stumped on whether to pull the trigger or just save the money.

I know it depends on how much I am going to ride it but was just hoping for some feedback, will post pics asap.

·
Track Addict
1,398 Posts
I didn`t do the pre paid maintence but I did get the extended warrenty. Seemed like a good deal to me, I`ll probably put around 7500 miles per year on my bike

·
Woo Hoo
542 Posts
Look on ebay for "yamaha extended warranty" and you'll find many legit Yamaha dealers willing to sell you the 4 year additional warranty for $499.

So get your dealer to match it or just add it on through a different dealer.

I'm not sure what $2100 in maintenance actually buys, do they pay for consumables such as brake pads? Probably not. Will they flush the brake lines out? probably not. I could only come up with $950 in service for 27000 miles:
27000 miles service (check valve clearance $500 ??)
9 oil changes (?? $50 for bulk oil) @ 3000 mi oil change interval

·
Squid
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
update.

decided not to get any as they wouldnt go lower than 700 for +3 years.

and for anyone who wants to know, my bike came wrapped in corsas.

·
Draggin chest hairs since 2008
1,313 Posts
You got a great deal, I paid 12,200$ for mine, it was the first 08 from my dealership and only the 2nd 08 on this forum. IF I waited until now I probably coulda gotten her for 12k

·
I'm an Englishman in WI.
33,700 Posts
I got 3 year maintenance for $800 which I thought was worth it, and 4 year extended for $499. Seemed like good piece of mind to me, plus not having to worry about where the money is when servicing is due means it's always done on time. By the way the maintenance covers pre-winter and spring work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.