Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased my R-1 last Friday. Broke in on hwy-1 and in Napa, Northern California on Sunday. Now tearing down and building into race bike for AFM.

Phase-1 parts for this year are bodywork, clip-ons, rear sets, arrow exhaust full system, brembo master cylinder and carbon pads, sprockets, chain, aftermarket ECU and a few other goodies.

It's difficult to find parts. For example, Woodcraft is finishing their rearsets, (I'm on a waiting list) Armored Bodies just measured the bike and are 4-7wks for body work, Hot Bodies created body work without a bike. Most are tweaking what they made because the bikes are hard to come by.

Interesting discoveries: For body work, the ECU on left side will not have a bracket, so I need to fabricate one or purchase Graves Extended Harness in mid-May and tuck ECU under the seat. You can't safety-wire the oil plug. Now what? I need to discuss with AFM to see how they will address this.

Can't wait to get the bike on the track and stretch it's legs.

· Registered
2 Posts
You can drill the drain plug.use a spring punch to get your mark then drill into the plug a little to set the bit then drill to the angle you need.i did it worked great but as for all the parts for racing I'm on a list also good luck with your build

· Administrator
27,552 Posts
Attack Performance made rearsets for this bike.. they used ours.

good luck with your build. I'm thinking about building one of our 15' R1's to a racebike
I bought a set of attacks. They get delivered today! I think they are the best looking out of all of them that have come out so far.

· Administrator
27,552 Posts
Attack Performance made rearsets for this bike.. they used ours.

good luck with your build. I'm thinking about building one of our 15' R1's to a racebike
I bought a set of attacks. They get delivered today! I think they are the best looking out of all of them that have come out so far, including the woodcraft.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a large list of parts and now a few sponsors for building race bike. I had to create a spreadsheet for all the parts, here are a few:

Woodcraft
--clip-ons
--rear sets
--engine covers (they just finished making the left side, will be priced for market next week)
--chain guard
--bar end protectors
--front & rear stands
--tire warmers. (note: their new tire warmers are probably best in industry. New non-rip material does not tear/better fit. New fleece side curtains, have partnered with Northface for fleece material/NO COLD AIR GETS IN. New elasticized siding which pulls tighter to the rim to heat tire faster. Re-Designed head bed and spacing, no more cold spots).

Vortex
--520 chain kit & sprockets

Sharkskinz
--Full Body Work (note: The Graves Yamaha MotoAmerica Team were able to get an R1 to Sharkskinz earlier than anyone else, so they now have product to sell. I ordered 5-wks ago, my order was ready to be shipped yesterday, but I got bumped because Graves Yamaha needed another (4) sets. Strongest and best fitting.)

Brakes/Brembo
--Brembo master cylinder
--Carbon brake pads

Arrow Exhaust
--They have (2) models. I have the longer full-system pipe used by World Superbike and MotoAmerica Teams. The longer model is quieter at about 107db. Exhaust made in Italy, I ordered 5-wks ago, get next week.
--Flash ECU next week.

CCU:
Roadracing World Magazine stated that sometime in June the CCU for Yamaha T-TRAC will be available for the R-1 base model, cool!!

Hope this helps you all, there is some brain damage from negotiating with a number of vendors, they are doing the best they can to build parts, strong demand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.