Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Will Work For Gas Money
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new Arai showed up to the house yesterday. It's a Yellow/black/white Haga Quantum/f.

I LOVE the lid.
(Except the visor mouning system sucks. That'll take some getting used to. Shoei has them beat there. I've gotten so I can do it first try, but I'm not quick at changing visors yet).

Anyway, one question, the bottle of silicone lube that came with it...
Is it
a) to keep the rubber seal between the shell and visor fresh and sealing well or
b) to put on the hinge area to keep it working smoothly/easily??

Both are perfectly good uses for silicone. The question came up today 'cause I read the directions one way, and my buddy who's had a quantum for a while understood differently.

Section A of the manual:
"Apply... around edge trim ... for shield operation maint."

Does "edge trim" mean the seal, or the back edge of the visor? Does "shield operation" mean "good seal" or "smooth opening and closing?"

Thanks!!

rvb

·
Registered
261 Posts
I put it on the hinge (back part) for smooth operation. I never even thought of using it on the seal part, so now I don't know which is the correct way. But I have never had any problem with it sealing, and I just assumed that since you lift your visor up and down that is where you would need it to be "lubricated".

·
Will Work For Gas Money
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
bump

So far the answers are 1 for seal, 1 for hinge ... hmmm
guess I'm not the only one with the question :)

btw, sorry no actual pic; no digi camera. But it's just like this:

·
Will Work For Gas Money
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
vizsladog44 said:
I know for a fact it's for the seal....i spent 3+ hours at an arai traing seminar.
You da man!!!!
Thanks!

rvb

ps. Any good tips on putting the visor back on? I can take it off no problem, but probably spend two minutes carefully putting it back on.

·
Banned
2,114 Posts
Slide the cut out corners of the sheild into the upper corner of the side plate.Slide it back and down.Will sound like hell...

how are you taking the sheild off??

·
Will Work For Gas Money
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
vizsladog44 said:
Slide the cut out corners of the sheild into the upper corner of the side plate.Slide it back and down.Will sound like hell...

how are you taking the sheild off??
To remove, I'm reaching from behind, lifting the levers till they click, releasing the levers, then pull up and out by leveraging on the hinge part.

The trouble I'm having putting the visor on is getting the little tab on the bottom of the "comma" shaped section into the track behind the release lever. A couple times it's gotten on top of that so the lever didn't do anything. I took the side plates off and think I see how it's supposed to go, but doing it is another story it seems.....

Thanks for the input.

rvb

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
The silicone is actually for both, according to the gentlemen at Arai Japan i talked to every bike week for 5 years.

And the shield is just something that will come with practice, hey after 10 years i can change them at a stoplight if i have too.... Not that i recommend that of course.
btw get a shield with tearoff posts, you'll love it even more.!!!!

·
450 coming shortly...
7,696 Posts
R1Budha-I have a tinted visor at the moment,bu was looking around for a tinted one with the tear off points..cant find them anywhere:dunno

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Ozzy_R1_demon said:
R1Budha-I have a tinted visor at the moment,bu was looking around for a tinted one with the tear off points..cant find them anywhere:dunno
i always get my Arai parts from www.thevisorshop.com they got tons of stuff. a bit expensive but worth every penny. i hope this helps.

·
Will Work For Gas Money
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
vizsladog44,
I decided to stop "being such an engineer" and worrying about getting it perfect. I followed your advice, plus tried holding it the same way to put the visor on as when I took it off, gave a little down and back action, and on she goes. I think I can do it easy as pie now.

To everyone, thanks for the info/advice/tips. Now I just gotta get new oil and a battery in the bike, put on my sliders and tail integrator, wait a couple weeks for the snow/salt to get washed off the roads, and I'll be riding in style.

thanks,
rvb
(Ryan)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts