Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Leaving You In The Dust
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sold my old bike for $10,000 and got a 1998 R1 for $7200 and pocketed the rest of the well needed money. So I did not get a 2002 just can’t afford it. I have never experienced the R1 before so I have some questions. Well anyway’s the bike runs at a high temperature when just sitting there, you can really feel it on the legs, but on the highway it’s fine. I was just wondering is this normal, the guy told me it is. He also said the R1 get’s it power at high RPM’s which my bike does, but are these really normal? I know that the bike was a salvage. First owner wrecked it, second owner fixed it and sold it to me. Also is their anyway I can get a owner’s manual for it? I might have some more question later, but that’s it for now.

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
Exactly how warm does it get? I know mine (2000) was getting to about 230f in the summer while sitting in traffic, I put castrol R4 Superbike oil in it and that helped some then I went to Engine Ice instead of regular coolant and that helped a bunch. Now it gets to about 215-225f in summer traffic.

·
no refunds allowed
79 Posts
Twisted Logic said:
Exactly how warm does it get? I know mine (2000) was getting to about 230f in the summer while sitting in traffic, I put castrol R4 Superbike oil in it and that helped some then I went to Engine Ice instead of regular coolant and that helped a bunch. Now it gets to about 215-225f in summer traffic.
I only found a couple places on line to get the castrol R4 Superbike oil, where'd ya get it?

Thanks man!

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
I get it from a local shop called Exodus cycles,they are real cool and will ship it to you I am sure. Give them a call and ask for Carlos,tell him David Kannady sent ya 713-466-7269. They also have a website if you are bored www.exoduscycles.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts