Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Savin Some $$$$
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok heres the bottom line, I am getting a bike in about a month and this is the first bike i am going to ride... EVER. I was going to originally get an R1 but due to the fact that everyone that rides is shunning me against that decision i have decided to go down a step or two. What would be a good bike for a start up that will get me by a year or so. What kind of cc's should my first bike range??
J-Nut

·
Only Corners Matter
175 Posts
Get a 600cc - still plenty of power. Learn to control that thing good before u move up and always respect the power. I'm a little preferential to an R6. If you're buying used just make sure it's in good shape

·
Beeeeeer!
9,540 Posts
R6 is not a good starter bike. How about a 250 or 500 Ninja, SV650 is a great little bike. I still have a 250 Ninja, that thing will hang in the twisties.

Don't worry about the negative comments about a smaller bike. You don't want to hang out with those people, their the ones that will get you hurt and shouldn't be riding to begin with.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have driven 3 seasons on a '99 R6 Great bike. Sins two weeks I' am the proud owner of a brand new R1 2003 (silver). I take thinks step by step. 150 hp is enough for an other few years of fun!!

If you keep the R6 high on RPM you wont need a R1.

Correct me if i'am rong, í'am not an expert.

·
My R1 Eats Cell Phone Cagers
716 Posts
i started out on a ZX6R. I say, start out on a used 600, maybe one or two years old because if you drop it, you won't be so pissed at yourself, and insurance is ALOT cheaper. 1st investment, frame sliders, cheapest insurance you can get

·
I will be a Better Rider.
218 Posts
Never ending "what should be my first-bike?" returns.
:corn

when i was 9 years old, I first learned how to a scooter. it was Lambretta. Good old bike. it was old but fun. Than i got old yamaha RX100 and than yamaha RD350 (2 stoke, tons of fun) and than i got slow but fun Royal Enfield Bullet 350. That bike was single cylinder but fun to ride and than i got kawasaki 600R and now i have R6.
And i'll soon have RC51 (as soon as i find a good deal)

So this is my story about my expirence with 2 wheels.

·
Full-Time Time Waster
3,813 Posts
Listen to what people say here; there's a lot of folks with personal experience involving those who made bad decisions as far as choosing their first bike. Overall, you're going to do what you're going to do. I'm in the same boat, never really ridden before, and for me, the bike of choice will probably be a suzuki gs 500 or kawi ex 500 (both early '90's - cheap, kinda ugly so you don't have to worry about tearin it up too much, and available), but I certainly haven't ruled out a ninja 250 either. You can sell any of those bikes for near what you paid for them, so it's not a big issue as far as losing a ton of money on resale goes. The smaller the cc the better, most likely, even though of course we know you're responsible and all that stuff that everyone always says. And take a motorcycle class. Or several.

·
your mom looks hot
121 Posts
sv 650 (great choice)
ducati monster (the 600, the 750)
2001 or earlier honda CBR600 f4 (easy to ride, user friendly and gives you a sportbike feel if that's what you want to start on)

don't get the R6. it's my favorite bike of all time, but not the bike of beginners.

buy something you're OK with dropping or crashing at least once the first year.

·
Banned
3,449 Posts
Man, Spidy or Mar, you guys need to make a "First bike advise" sticky. This is getting so old.

My advise kid, get an older kawa 500 or f4 to start out on, if you get a 1000cc bike, please tell me so I can have you sign a life insurence contract that cashes out for me.

·
Full-Time Time Waster
3,813 Posts
Something else which I meant to point out the first time; if image is important to you, know that those who know what they're doing on a bike will most likely respect you much more for being sensible and learning to actually RIDE skillfully before you move up to a bike that's worthy of your acquired skills. :)

·
Live Free Or Die!
57 Posts
Anything you can get your hands on. Preferably a cheap one in really good condition. Should maybe get two so you can still ride when the other one is smashed up. Good tires are a plus. Kind of bike don't matter. anything will do! One more thing, Ask some thrill seekers what to watch out for. It might help you stay alive. P.S. Start riding in your yard!

·
Kitty kitty... RRRR
1,712 Posts
Katana 750 is a good tourer. If you'll want some day to take it to the twisties or generally "push" it a bit, it'll require more skilled hand than a sportbike to keep up with one.
If you take it for long distance touring - you're fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts