Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, new member here!

I’ve been riding for about 10 years; started on a Sportster, to a GSXR-750, and now riding an XSR900. Love the XSR, great bike and lots of fun to ride… but the R1 has always been my dream bike. I’m not giving up the XSR, I like the neutral position for general riding and it’s a bit of a beast in its own right, but I just can’t get away from the way a sportbike feels, so I’d be looking to add a second bike to the stable. There is a big difference between XSR to R1 across the board, so I’m in no doubt that both in their way will keep me smiling when riding.

Asking which R1 is best is a bit of a loaded question, so I’ll say that I’m looking for a newer generation bike. Current status of worldly events however has seen prices (at least in my area) explode, used bikes just as expensive as brand new. So my questions to you is, am I crazy for thinking a brand new R1, with only a few grand difference over a 5-6 year old one, is an objectively sound decision? Or should I go for an even older one and save the cash for upgrades? I’m not a pro rider by any means and will never pretend to be, I’m very much a standard rider in their mid-30’s who knows their limits who just wants to get that dream bike and enjoy it.

I don’t have any R1 pics to post which I know is a forum introduction post no-no, but I don’t know if anyone would really want to see my XSR given your bikes are probably more satisfying to look at 😂

·
Horsepower whisperer
2003 Yamaha YZF-R1
1,617 Posts
XSR is a neat bike.
Now...have you ridden a Superbike before? Because son....it is something like no other.
GSX-R750s was a good introduction into these bikes though. How many miles did you ride it?

Do you want a cross plane? Do you like the 2015+ design?

Just a few things to think about.

Welcome. Post pics of the past and present bikes. We don't mind.

Reactions: 1202067

·
I miss my R1
3,744 Posts
Welcome!

I don't even own my R1 (or even a Yamaha!) anymore and I still post here all the time :)

And yes, post some pics of your bike(s)... here's mine:

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Fuel tank

I really need to get an updated picture, this is before I changed the exhaust and wheels :p

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi Cipher_R1, I have bought many ‘ higher mileage but well maintained bikes’ over the years and never had problems with them,they are usually priced well below a low mileage example, and for average ability riders do everything you want.My 2011 R1 has 60,000 km and runs perfectly with no oil consumption between 5000 km changes.Worth considering if up front cost is an issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
XSR is a neat bike.
Now...have you ridden a Superbike before? Because son....it is something like no other.
GSX-R750s was a good introduction into these bikes though. How many miles did you ride it?

Do you want a cross plane? Do you like the 2015+ design?

Just a few things to think about.

Welcome. Post pics of the past and present bikes. We don't mind.
I haven’t ridden a superbike before, I’ve only been on the GSXR and an R6. I put just under 8,000 miles on the 750, all on street, no track unfortunately.

I really like the new design, and the cross plane engine is definitely appealing, along with all the new tech. If I’m not mistaken you’ve just ordered the new anniversary bike coming out soon, which is undeniably gorgeous!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome!

I don't even own my R1 (or even a Yamaha!) anymore and I still post here all the time :)

And yes, post some pics of your bike(s)... here's mine:

View attachment 1021170
I really need to get an updated picture, this is before I changed the exhaust and wheels :p
This is what I’m currently riding…

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Cipher_R1, I have bought many ‘ higher mileage but well maintained bikes’ over the years and never had problems with them,they are usually priced well below a low mileage example, and for average ability riders do everything you want.My 2011 R1 has 60,000 km and runs perfectly with no oil consumption between 5000 km changes.Worth considering if up front cost is an issue.
You make a good point on a used one, and maybe just giving it more time to search out and find a good one is within reach. I’ve previously found it a bit of a minefield in the used market, but finding a well maintained and previously loved bike is rewarding. I think my current sticking point is justifying the used market pricing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmmm. That would be a nice match to my new incoming R1. 😍
I know right! I had thought about changing the red to either black or carbon fiber but having seen that R1 coming out it got me feeling some type of way about a matching one 😍😂

·
Registered
24 Posts
Great looking XSR, From personal experience I would say stay away from the 2016-17 model year. Both my bikes were purchased new and let the factory smoke out of them the 16 was at about 6800 miles and the 17 was under 5K keep in mind that both these bikes were dedicated track bikes and ridden accordingly... If budget would allow it I'd say look for something 2018 or newer.

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,655 Posts
Great looking XSR, From personal experience I would say stay away from the 2016-17 model year. Both my bikes were purchased new and let the factory smoke out of them the 16 was at about 6800 miles and the 17 was under 5K keep in mind that both these bikes were dedicated track bikes and ridden accordingly... If budget would allow it I'd say look for something 2018 or newer.
Neither of them made 7k miles? That's depressing.

Did you make threads about their demise? I'd like to read up on their lives and deaths.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Welcome Cipher, i done the same as you in 2018 on the UK forum became a member before buying the R1.
I ended up buying a bike of one of the members.
It was a 2015 with a few mods, I didn't want a M model as I had plans for it to be trackbike. I bought it to preserve my Aprlia 2005 factory, also bikes had come such a long way since.
To what model, I have nothing against the 2015, i believe it is down to maintence when riding them on track. Depending on your budget i we would be tempted with 2018 as it has a bliper and some more engine refinements.
The new ones, which some people say they have had flashed, i don't believe.
Personally i would not have one, the throttle still needs the flash to make it more usable. I wanted a R1 when they come out but was racing a TZ 350E two stroke and could not afford both.
But i got one in the end and wasn't disappointed, even it was 20 odd years later.
There's plenty of information on here, friendly bunch always prepared to help, both forums were invaluable in building my Superstock.
So good luck with your bike hunt, hope you get what you want

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
292 Posts
Very cool XSR! Tried and True CP3 engine that is bulletproof and lots of fun with a versatile seating position - great daily rider-love it! A very good idea to keep that.
When I look at the prices of late model used bikes (especially superbikes) I can’t help but cringe at the thought of spending more than $10k on a bike and not having warranty or support for the first year. If you buy used from a dealer it’s even worse. I know you pay dealer prep and delivery fees buying new, but when it comes to motorcycles (always used trucks!) I like knowing that all is new and un-tinkered with/un-dropped/un-bent/etc.
I bought a new 2020 in July of 2020 and have never had problem 1. As it turns out, there was no flash available until recently, so I had stock exhaust/ECU settings for the entire warranty period. The ‘20+ models were slightly revised to meet Euro 5 (4 catalytic converters!!) but still put out same power as ‘15-‘19’s , so it seems like the engine has more potential.
anyway to wrap up this long post I would go new if that’s an option. you won’t be sorry!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very cool XSR! Tried and True CP3 engine that is bulletproof and lots of fun with a versatile seating position - great daily rider-love it! A very good idea to keep that.
When I look at the prices of late model used bikes (especially superbikes) I can’t help but cringe at the thought of spending more than $10k on a bike and not having warranty or support for the first year. If you buy used from a dealer it’s even worse. I know you pay dealer prep and delivery fees buying new, but when it comes to motorcycles (always used trucks!) I like knowing that all is new and un-tinkered with/un-dropped/un-bent/etc.
I bought a new 2020 in July of 2020 and have never had problem 1. As it turns out, there was no flash available until recently, so I had stock exhaust/ECU settings for the entire warranty period. The ‘20+ models were slightly revised to meet Euro 5 (4 catalytic converters!!) but still put out same power as ‘15-‘19’s , so it seems like the engine has more potential.
anyway to wrap up this long post I would go new if that’s an option. you won’t be sorry!
I love the XSR; it’s my first Yamaha and so far I’ve been loving the ride and the fun it brings! The suspension is admittedly not the best but I can always update that later. I think the engine is a good indicator as to what to anticipate from an R1; don’t get me wrong it’s a huge difference and in reality is night and day, just thinking about linear power delivery etc… But then turn it up to 11 😂

I know exactly what you mean on the used cost and no warranty. I saw a 2012 R1 recently for more than I could have bought one brand new back in 2013 as a “new old stock” which mentally just throws me off. There’s a 2014 locally but it’s almost $15k. I’m really fickle about mods too; I have my own tastes and preferences and I definitely wonder how much the local dealers will really tell you about what’s been done and the true history of the bike. I don’t mean that they’ll outright lie to you, but sometimes they don’t even know. I know that’s a rabbit hole unto itself so I’ll just leave it there 😂

I’m leaning towards new right now. I have a local shop that can put one on hold for me with a deposit when it arrives, and I’m talking to a friend who’s a few hours away but he has a solid connection at a dealer so I’m trying to see if he can get me a price break (not anticipating he can though as I’m sure the 60th anniversary will be limited and go quick). With the XSR i jumped right in and got the ECU flashed, race tools added and a full exhaust etc and really just said eff the warranty, but it’s also half the price of an R1 and not as technologically advanced, and at least in my mind the R1 comes more refined from the factory. What I also like about new is for me I could just do a slip-on and a few accessories while warranty is still there, and then add the mid-pipe later (that’s what one of my friends with an RSV4 did and I like that idea). I just made $10k on Shiba so that will be my down payment 😂 in hindsight it was a stupid gamble that fortunately paid off

1 - 16 of 16 Posts