Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
2016 R1
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'll be looking buying a used R1. Torn between 2016-2021. I have seen 2016's for as low as $10-11K and found a 2019 at $15K and read some people worked their magic and got a hold of 2021's at 15.5K. Excluding mods and assuming mileage are the same, is the $4K increase for a newer year worth it?
I know that
'16s have transmission recall addressed.
'18s+ have auto blipper added
'20s+ have a slightly different fairings for aerodynamics and are Euro5 compliant, but idc since I will get an exhaust if not included already.
My budget is $15K.

Registered
2016 R1
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2020+ seem to have more midrange and peak than 2015-19. If you can find a 20 go for it. Flashing the 20+ is quite expensive compared to a 15-19
The 20+ appealed to me due to upgraded internals, would you say it's worth the price jump? Of course I wouldn't say no if I can get a hold of one at my budget. But now that you mention the higher cost of flashing I'm curious what other Euro compliance is messing with 20+. I'm no Rossi, never been on a track, but I do like to mod.

Try and get a 2016 model .. great value or what you are getting
2016 sounds like the best out of all of them in terms of startup cost and cost of mods. I was only interested in the newer as for a peace of mind. I read that some people were upgrading their 18+ oem autoblippers onto translogic, any opinion about that?

Registered
2020 Yamaha YZF-R1/Raven
Welcome to the forum! Never heard of any problems with OEM blipper on the 鈥18s. I have a鈥20 and it鈥檚 smooth as butta up and down. Good luck on your hunt and let鈥檚 see the beast when you get it 馃憤

Registered
2016 R1
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very nice! Congratulations 馃帀
Looks like it has a couple of mods- what鈥檚 been done?
Not much!
2016 3.4K miles
3/4 Akra
Fender eliminator, with these really cool signals that goes on the fins next to the brake light
Stomp pads tank grips

They also gave me gbracing engine protectors and lighttech rear sets and two sets of fairings, shark attack I think and the oem raven. Awesome seller to deal with. If you鈥檙e in here, thanks for a smooth negotiation and sale!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts