Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
after a bit of advice, had a problem with reg/rec, stator & charging.
Replaced stator & rotor assy as all the magnets had come out the housing, fitted new reg/rec, bearings, gaskets, oil & filter.
Bikes fires up & charges at 14.3V
But my problem is the wire from the new stator to the reg/rec gets very hot & being its under the fuel tank i'm a bit concerned that it will cause a problem.
Is this normal ????
Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Bob

·
Registered
475 Posts
What is the state of charge on the battery on the bike? I’m no electrical wizard by any stretch, but wondering if the new R/R could be trying to charge a battery that is semi-discharged?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
replace with a heavier guage wire or wrap the wire with insulation.
I'm thinking that as its brand new OEM stator & cable that it would be up to the job & not need me putting heavier gauge wire in & putting insolation around cable, surly Yamaha would have spec'd it to cope with heat ????

Not dissing your ideas, but seems strange Yamaha would upgrade the rotor (so the magnets were not on show anymore), but not put a cable on the stator that could with stand the current flowing through it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is the state of charge on the battery on the bike? I’m no electrical wizard by any stretch, but wondering if the new R/R could be trying to charge a battery that is semi-discharged?
Might be worth having a look at that, i know once its charged & left to stand for a good hour (off the bike & disconnected from the bikes electrics), that it has 12.6V.
It charges on the bike with it running at 14.3V with the old R/R & 14.1V with the new R/R, on tick over for both R/R's, if i raise the revs to 5K the old one doesn't get any more charge, the new one raises to 14.6, then slowly drops down to 13.8V & then picks upback to 14.2-14.3V on tick over.

As a back up plane, going to take the fuel tank off the wife's R1 to see if her stator cable gets hot, if it does i can only assume its normal, as need the bike for a track day on 5th 🤞

·
I miss my R1
3,671 Posts
Regarding the wire getting hot, I'd get an ammeter and check the current, because the volts seem within spec.

Other than that, Arte et Marte, good to see another REME member on here (RCEME here)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Regarding the wire getting hot, I'd get an ammeter and check the current, because the volts seem within spec.

Other than that, Arte et Marte, good to see another REME member on here (RCEME here)
Checked out the wife's 05 R1 to see if that's the same after i finished work today, hers gets hottish, but doesn't seem to get as hot as mine, cable gets hot no matter if i put the old R/R on or the new one.

i'll give it a current amps check tomorrow & see if its within specs.

If it's not then it will have to be the R1M for track on Monday instead, already had to use it 3 times last month as waiting on bits to fix the track 05 R1 :oops:

Good to see a fellow REME on here too 😉

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well finally got it sorted, seems the brand new after market reg/rec was the fault, after double checking everything using the reg/rec off the wives 05 R1,neither of the 2 OEM reg/rec wires got hot with engine running, but the aftermarket one did on both bikes, so out with that, old OEM re-fitted & able to get to the track day for an enjoyable 1/2 day, as bloody bike started to leak oil from the left hand side, all over my boot & rear set.
So now waiting on new gaskets to sort that out.

Many thanks to iamzombie, Whyzeef & Windsor 1 for your help & input (y)(y)(y)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.