Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My previous bike was a 2013 zx6r. My question is when starting from a stop I have to slip the clutch more is this normal on a r1? I'm thinking it's because the r1 has a taller 1st gear?

2nd question is I noticed less engine braking. I was in mode 3. Is there more engine braking in mode 2?

I like this bike I think the throttle is smoother than my zx6r.

Thanks

· EL Capitan
95 Posts
My previous bike was a 2013 zx6r. My question is when starting from a stop I have to slip the clutch more is this normal on a r1? I'm thinking it's because the r1 has a taller 1st gear?

2nd question is I noticed less engine braking. I was in mode 3. Is there more engine braking in mode 2?

I like this bike I think the throttle is smoother than my zx6r.

Thanks

Dude,,
Everyone is just getting this new bike.
You'll have to tell us, lmao

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Pics or it didn't happen! and I don't think anyone on here has theirs yet.
I can't wait to see some customized 2015 R1s. I think part of owning a motorcycle is making it *Yours* and I love seeing the little things people do to do that.

Those questions will probably disappear after a week of riding. I killed my R1 the first time I tried to launch it because the clutch was different than my F4i. Only killed it a few times though and then I was riding it like I had owned it for years.

· Next trackday please!
216 Posts
Pics or it didn't happen! and I don't think anyone on here has theirs yet.
I can't wait to see some customized 2015 R1s. I think part of owning a motorcycle is making it *Yours* and I love seeing the little things people do to do that.

Those questions will probably disappear after a week of riding. I killed my R1 the first time I tried to launch it because the clutch was different than my F4i. Only killed it a few times though and then I was riding it like I had owned it for years.
My buddy got one of his on Tuesday...His R1M should be here by Monday..Both will be race bikes that will run in MotoAmerica this year!

Attachments

· 14k+ posts and not one helpful
14,358 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Typically the R1 is a hard bike to launch. The 2015 is no improvement over previous generations. I have raced both a 2009 and 2005 SBK R1. The Yamaha clutch is typically a pain to launch and I have replaced it with a Suter clutch before which helped greatly. I've also raced a 2012 ZX10 SBK and agree it easier to launch. Our new 2015 is currently in teardown for this years race build. You are intersed in following the build you can follow us on facebook - Porter Racing

· Registered
146 Posts
If you can tell me how to do then il grab my go pro and go make a video:)
the bikes manual possibly? I know the s1000rr you hold the kill/starter switch and it'll go into L-CON mode and it has to be in slick/user mode in order to do that. For the R1 I'm not quite sure since I don't have it :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.