Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
:)
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a '00 R1 (blue) about two weeks ago with 300 miles on it. i have just reached my 600 mile first service. i am about to change my oil, but have a question. what type of oil do you guys recommend. i have been told to stay away from synthetic until a couple of thousand miles. should i stick with yamalube and the factory equivalent oil filter?

also, what grade gasoline do you guys suggest?

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
The Castrol oil is super nice! It's making wonders for R1's.. so I've heard :D I'm going to use it next time I change oil.

We swede's use 95. US have much lower and I don't know what they us!

Oh, BTW! WELCOME! :makeout :girl :D

·
Forum chick
345 Posts
Hey!!!
A R1 rider from KY!! :D
Welcome selftc!
Swedie, isn't that what Twisted Logic uses too?
Twisted Logic, what is it that you use and recommend so highly on here all the time?
I can't remember. Haven't had coffee yet. :rolleyes:

·
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanx for your help guys. i have found this to be a very useful board. i look forward to more conversations.....

i do have pictures of my scooter posted on a website. if interested, please visit:

www.geocities.com/selftc/scooter.html
fyi: the address is caps sensitive.......

i plan to get a fender eliminator kit as well. any cheap suggestions, other than cutting my existing one (which i prefer not to do). the cheapest i have found it $119.

·
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
btw: what's the deal with "my R1 eats me" below my user name? though i am not used to having the power of 1,000 cc, i choose to not have that description below my name........ in other words, how do i turn this off?

:p

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
I can only answer on how to fix that status below your username. Go to your Profile page and go to "Edit Profile". In there.. change to whatever you want at "Custom User Text".

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
Ok first :machinegu WELCOME :machinegu
now as far as the oil goes wait until the next oil change and get Castrol R4 Superbike oil and for the undertail you can cut it and it will look nice but if you want a good undertail go to www.hotbodies.com and tell Roger we sent you either way you will have to cut the stock undertail no matter which way you go

·
Forum chick
345 Posts
selftc, I just went to your site and saw your bike. :) I see you have named her Lucy. A beautiful name for a beautiful bike.
You'll find there are alot of really knowledgable, helpful and friendly members here that are top notch when it comes to R1's. :)

·
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the assistance. i enjoy working on cars on the side, but sport bikes are a different animal. i'm learning......... thanks again. until later: live well, laugh often, and enjoy always ! ! ! ! for me though, enjoying will take place with both wheels on the ground, not ready yet to pick up that front end ......... :eek:

:D

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
Well watch out because it has a way of coming up weather you are ready or not:eek: :D

·
My R1 Eats My Pay Check!
152 Posts
Welcome selftc!

I've been using semi-syn. oil for a while now with no complaints, but I may check out the Castrol next time I change the oil...

I've read that some folks use 87 or 89 octane in their '98 and '99 R1's. I've tried it a couple of times, but always went back to 93 octane in my Y2K.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Welcome. You found a 2000 R1 w/300miles on it? What did the previous owner do, just ride it to the mailbox and back?

·
STRAIGHT ROADS SUCK!
1,492 Posts
Had me gone there for a minute. I had same thought about having 300 mi on a 2000. Then who the heck brought (o I see)? :ncont: :ncont: :ncont:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts