Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Welcome, you will have plenty of help here, some really knowledgeable people on here, and some extensively modded bikes.
You will soon work out what is lacking and needs modding, depends if it is going on track I guess.
I think they are great bikes but few things are inadequate, definitely not the engine, enjoy your stay on the forum

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
21,708 Posts
Welcome to the forum. How did you like the BMW?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well tbh i have still got it (did not want to get rid incase the r1 did not suit). The bm is a great bike ngl, the brakes are better and the grearbox smoother, But it aint has exciting as the yam, I think it may be the sound.............

·
Registered
410 Posts
Well tbh i have still got it (did not want to get rid incase the r1 did not suit). The bm is a great bike ngl, the brakes are better and the grearbox smoother, But it aint has exciting as the yam, I think it may be the sound.............
When first got mine the sound was addictive, the other thing that can make it exiting is the oem steering damper but not in a good way ,i felt it wasn't up to the job and took it off and put a manual Ohlins on.
But there's plenty of potential there, the engine is exiting and mine had been flashed and few other mods done on it, a 2015.
My friend had the latest gen BM, but had loads of problems with it and sold it in the end. He said it was a great bike when it wasn't in the BMW workshop.
Like I said earlier, all the little problems with the R1 are solvable, depends what you want from the bike.
When sorted, it is a very rewarding and enjoyable bike to ride. Also little things, the oem seat is uncomfortable, I bought a race seat for it, and I would rather do hundred miles on that than 50 on the oem one.
There ain't much oem parts left on mine besides the chassis and engine, but it is totally different bike to ride from what I bought.
All bikes need some improvement with few little mods, it's just what you personally feel necessary.
My friend has just got a 22 model and tells me the ecu is under the fuel tank, where it should have been in the first place. As it wold have been the safetest place especially if it out on track.
Enjoy riding your new bike and modding it. Just don't let the modding get out of control , like this one and few others on here.
Also there's always plenty of help on here, a great friendly bunch

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

·
Horsepower whisperer
2022 Yamaha YZF-R1 60th WGP Anniversary Edition
1,839 Posts
I had a 2016 BMW S1000RR for 3 seasons. Loved everything about it. Especially the heated grips and cruise control.
I did tire of all the maintenance alerts that would tell me when to take it to the dealer.

In the end I wanted to try out a modern R1 (I've had 4 '02/'03s), plus I'm a total Yamaha lover. ☺

Reactions: rs155
1 - 8 of 8 Posts