Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Are you kidding me!
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i just bought a like new03 Black/flames R1!!!!!, VERY excited for the damn snow to melt here in minnesota. Hopefully the R1 should have a weeeee bit more power than the 00 yzf 600r had.... :D. dont get me wrong i loved my 600r...great bike, its so underrated. Anyways, before the snow does melt i plan to install a slip on. My buddy has a Yosh rs3 on his R6 and i LOVE the sound, but ive never heard it on an R1. How does the yosh sound, a 2bros, or an akrapovic for that matter on an R1? i dont care about HP, its only a slip on, what the hell is 2hp? i mainly care about looks/sound. i loved the twobros on my 600r but no one seems to have them on the R1. What is your guys's opinion on a slip-on? Also, i wish to install a damper, never needed one on the 600r but i hear the front end is VERY light on the R1, i think i will either install a Scotts, or a Matris? what are your guys's experiences on either, what would u recommend?

Thanks everyone!

·
Arr Wun.
248 Posts
I dont think a yosh would sound as good on a R1 as it does on an R6 because of the EXUP valve. My R1 had a yosh on when i bought it and it was wayyy to quiet, so i got a micron. I didnt get the hi-mount but now i wish i would have.

·
Are you kidding me!
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, i will prolly go with a 2bros C/F highmout. what about dampers tho, i really like the compact look of the scotts and its reviews are excellent by what ive read, but what do you guys have, do they really make THAT big off a difference on the handling of the bike. my previous bike (00 yzf 600r) i could lean it through corners to the point where the rear sets would scratch the pavement (gotta love those pilot sports!), no headshake @ all with no damper what so ever, yes i understand that a 600r only puts down about 87rwhp to the ground but still. All in all was a damper a worthy investment for the R1, or was it just a flashy piece of eye candy to show to your buds? I havent riden my R1 yet (snow:( ), but If i am goin to shell out 450 for a damper i better notice an improvement, will i notice one?

·
INVICTUS
14,902 Posts
Not so much that you'll notice a difference as to you won't notice that monstrous slapper you get whackin the throttle open out of some turn. That's where it counts, there are many proponents of dampers here but there are those who also say that proper suspension setup is the only thing you need. While I advocate setting up your bike the right way , speaking personally it only takes one slapper to convince you that dampers are good. If I had a do over I'd get my damper first. I've felt enough damped wiggles to know that it's good for me.

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
Solidus said:
Not so much that you'll notice a difference as to you won't notice that monstrous slapper you get whackin the throttle open out of some turn. That's where it counts, there are many proponents of dampers here but there are those who also say that proper suspension setup is the only thing you need. While I advocate setting up your bike the right way , speaking personally it only takes one slapper to convince you that dampers are good. If I had a do over I'd get my damper first. I've felt enough damped wiggles to know that it's good for me.
:iamwithst
Proper suspension setup will cure many problems, however the first time you get a true tank slapper w/o a damper, you'll be recovering your seat and buying one immediately.:yesnod

·
Old in body ,Young at heart
132 Posts
You bet you will notice!! After that first little headshake, l ordered a Scotts the next morning. Made a huge difference for me and l will probably never have another bike without one. I put is on my 02 R1 with a full Akra Evelution system by the way. Not sure how the slip on sounds but the full sytem is great.

·
Are you kidding me!
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help guys, ive decided to go with either a scotts or a matris damper, (dealer can get me 20% off!) both seem well built and have good reviews, it just comes down to personal choice. as for a slip on i would love to buy an akrapovic QUALITY!, but $600 for a slip on....are you F*uckin kidding me!!!im sure i will go with the Two Bros CF C5, i know they arent THE best but they sound good and look good as well, besides, they are made in the good ol USA! A few buddies of mine said to get a Dand D pipe....if you ask me those are the most homely looking pipes made. they look like shit and sound worse, why not just have no exhaust and just run headers, cuz thats pretty much what they sound like. But back to the damper question, from listining to all your experiences, i think its a wise move an my behalf to install one right now rather than find out the hard way!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts