Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Savin Some $$$$
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo man i am about to get my bike in about a month for my 18th birthday and im excited. Never really rode a bike before though so i was wondering where to get started. Do I have to take some training courses or should i just take it to an empty parking lot and learn on my own? Also, do you recomend on a leather jacket and pants? Hit me Back up -- J-Nut

·
Beating a dead horse.
4,011 Posts
prepare to get flamed if you say you want an R1 for a first bike.....

·
Registered
261 Posts
I would take the MSF course before you get your bike. And yes get all the gear you can afford. Leather jacket, pants, boots, gloves, and of course HELMET!!!! Get your self a used cheaper bike to learn on. Welcome to the site, and welcome to the world of riding. Be safe and have fun. :thumbup

·
Insanity Please
2,200 Posts
Get yourself a realistic bike for your first time experience, unless you're suicidal or have a death wish of course, then go for the 04R1. :bow

As the guys have said before, get the right kit (riding gear) and a bike (which you like) for your riding ability. Definitely do some road/training courses, as they are invaluable to you in learning bike craft. :finger

:bow :fork :bow

·
CCS #228
881 Posts
Go for the MSF, invest in leathers and quality gear, start off slow!!! Something to think about is insurance!! Smaller bikes will be cheaper to insure.
BTW welcome and enjoy :riding

·
450 coming shortly...
7,696 Posts
As mentioned,make sure you have some good protective gear aswell..no use having a bike,and being stuck in hospital with road rash/injuries from not wearing appropriate gear:fact

Go for a small bike,and do some riding courses*not sure what you guys call them over there*,MOST IMPORTANTLY,never let your ego grow too much to the point where you feel you 'know all' and dont listen to other riders advice...that will get you in trouble:yesnod

Good luck with getting your bike,ride safely and enjoy.

Cheers,
:thumbup

·
GO CHIEFS!!!
6,864 Posts
Buy a good starter bike. Buy the proper gear (helmet, gloves, jacket, pants, boots)... Take the msf... Learn to ride well on the street... Take a track school.... Buy the bike of your dreams after a few years...

- BA

1 - 9 of 9 Posts