Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
WHY ?
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay Lads, I'm gonna set this thread out like a "work in progress" report to follow my progress on my bike so people can get ideas.

04-06 TAIL CONVERSION ON 02-03 r1

For a while now I have thought about doing this conversion on my r1 and did a search on the forum to see if anyone had done this before. The search came up with two people, NEXERADG and SPETTINATO who both chose different methods to fit their tail conversion

The three routes you can take to do the conversion are
  • Customize your existing subframe to fit 04-06 tail
  • Build a custom subframe from scratch to fit - SPETTINATO
  • Modify an 04-06 subframe to fit on 02-03 frame - NEXERADG
Customising your existing subframe would require major cutting and rewelding to fit the 04-06 tail as it is wider, also the relocation of seat mounting and seat catches etc.
Building a custom subframe to fit (as spettinato did) allows you full possibilities of mounting, but involves more time
Modifying an 04-06 subframe allows means fabrication of the mounting points and minor relocation of other parts while not having to worry about 04-06 parts fitment

All of the above options require fabrication or modificaton to fit the tail, I decided to choose the 3rd option and modify an existing 04-06 tail as I knew all the 04-06 parts would fit and it would be a matter of fabrication to the mounting points on the subframe.

Project begins

Firstly I should say that my brother is a welder/fabricator by trade and he will be performing most of the fabrication and I was a spray painter by trade (lung health changed this) so the modification and finishing, although a big project, is not beyond our capabilities. If deciding to do this conversion please bear in mind that if you do not have the skills to do this yourself then it may cost $$$$ or ????

Now I have made my choice I began to source the parts I needed which are as follows
  • 04-06 Subframe
  • 04-06 Tail
  • 04-06 Seats
  • 04-06 Rear Light
  • 04-06 Undertray
  • Anything else I need, I will buy on completion.
My brother said the first bits to source would be the subframe and the front seat as the subframe would need heavy modification around the mounting points to make the seat fit to the tank. The 04-06 Has totally different mounting to the 02-03

As you can see the 04-06 r1 subframe mounts flat to the frame, while the 02-03 r1 has a mounting branching off from the frame. Also on the 04-06, the mounting lugs are in line with each other, while the 02-03 r1 has the mounting at the top a smaller width in relation to the frame and the bottom mountings the same width as the frame. So not only will the 04-06 frame need to be cut at an angle to fit the mounting, fabrication will also be needed to alter the width of the mountings.

I have sourced all the parts (but undertray and rear seat) so work started on the project, I thought I'd better post a pic of my bike before any fabrication

R1 BEFORE

Firstly, everything was removed from the rear of my bike and then the subframe was unbolted, the wires left to drape all over the floor, we then fixed the seat to the subframe and held it up to the bike to give a rough idea on how much would need to be cut from the subframe. On holding the top mounting of the sub frame up to the top mounting on the frame, the seat was about 8-10 inches away from the tank. We knew that the subframe would have to be cut at an angle from the top to make it fit the original set-up on the frame (in this picture it also shows the front of the subframe cut to allow the shock some room and also partial cutting of the battery tray)

With the 1st cutting done, it was time to try it on the bike, with the seat attatched as guidance. At first the seat was about 1-2 inches from the tank so a bit more needed cutting from the subframe (always best to cut too little than too much)

So with that done it was time to have another trial. As you can see from the picture below, the angle of the cut needed on the original subframe to get the seat close to the tank. The bottom mounting will be filled in and another mount welded to the subframe branching down to meet it, it will also need to branch outwards as the lower mounts are wider than the subframe

With that tried on, although it needs alot more fabrication, it is beginning to take shape.

Next, I cut the battery tray completely out as another was going to be welded in. On the 04-06, the battery stands upright rather than flat like in the 02-03. It was decided that if the tray was cut out completely that another can be made and welded in lower allowing the battery to sit lower and room for anything later. The rectifier also, which normally sits in front of the battery and attatched to the plastic undertray would have to be considered so enough was cut back to allow it to mount in relatively the same place

note in the above pictures, where the cutting has finished on where the top mounting will be. You can see above, where it has been ground down, a old thread insert on each side. There were 2 of these but the was cut off. Where these threads were, was a recess, of which you can see where it angles back up onto the top of the subframe. The new top mounting will be a solid piece of aluminium bar and cover over the old thread insert and over where all the grinding has been done.

With that done, I tried it with the seat unit and seat attatched just to check it fitted ok.

and

Although the seat unit looks way too high here, it will be adjusted corrtectly when the top mountings are welded on. But it will also be a bit higher than the original subframe, just because that is my preference.

Well thats the 1st post, hope to get the top mountings mig tacked on today, and than my bro will tig weld them at his work.

·
Registered
181 Posts
You should have done the new R6 tail instead of the R1. They are similar and the R6 doesnt have the undertail for the exhaust. Unless your making your own undertail, then it will look better. GL I wanted to change mine also but will be selling next fall.

·
WHY ?
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After this unit is fitted I will be modifying my swingarm and fitting some underseat pipes.........but thats the next project. I dont really like the R6 seat unit, its more similar to the 07> R1 seat unit and I dont really like them. I did consider the 07 R1 unit but think the 04-06 looks better

JAs

·
Over doing it
702 Posts
After this unit is fitted I will be modifying my swingarm and fitting some underseat pipes.........but thats the next project. I dont really like the R6 seat unit, its more similar to the 07> R1 seat unit and I dont really like them. I did consider the 07 R1 unit but think the 04-06 looks better

JAs
How do you plan on modifying the stock swinger to accommodate the exhaust plumbing? It seems like that would be just about impossible with a top braced swingarm.

·
WHY ?
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Spent last night modifying the sub frame a little more. On holding the subframe up to the mounts on the frame we worked out where the holes would need to be on the top mounts, so a little more was taken off to allow some solid aluminium bar to be welded in.

Note - the inside of the frame is cut further down than the outside. This is to allow the subframe to fit over the frame mounts as it would be to narrow. I will explain better when it has been welded as it is hard to explain.

Below shows the aluminium blocks cut and offered up to give an idea of the mounting. I have marked on there with permanent marker aproximately where the mounting holes will be. They will be machined and filed to look how the should prior to welding

Above shows the blocks sitting inside the subframe, but they will be cut to sit flush on the outside and be welded along the line running on th outside on the subframe.

The space in front of the mount will be capped off also. I have my doubts about the strength of it but my brother seems to think it will be fine.:scared

Hopefully, they will get tacked today

·
Sup
17,456 Posts
There are a couple people that have done under seat exhaust. One of which completly fabbed his own. It was pretty cool. Do a search and you'll find it. I also can't wait to see the finished product. Attach some of the photos so I can see them though. The hosting website is blocked on my system.

·
WHY ?
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are a couple people that have done under seat exhaust. One of which completly fabbed his own. It was pretty cool. Do a search and you'll find it. I also can't wait to see the finished product. Attach some of the photos so I can see them though. The hosting website is blocked on my system.
Already have searched it, look at my 1st post to this thread :fact

JAs

·
Registered
45 Posts
Very nice work.One observation though. I noticed in your pics that you are holding the tail too high and the seat's angle is not right.If you install it like that you'll be sliding forward all the time.Here is a photo of the tail's position on the R1 06.As you can see it "lines up" with the tank.Maybe you can use that as a point of reference.

·
WHY ?
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Very nice work.One observation though. I noticed in your pics that you are holding the tail too high and the seat's angle is not right.If you install it like that you'll be sliding forward all the time.Here is a photo of the tail's position on the R1 06.As you can see it "lines up" with the tank.Maybe you can use that as a point of reference.

Thanks for the pic. I said in that the unit was being help too high, this has been taken in consideration. The pic was to just illustrate that the unit fitted.

JAs

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.