Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I'm new to Yamaha and new to these forums. I've had about 15 bikes but never had a Yamaha until last week when I bought an 04 R1 with 17k miles.

Bought the bike from its original owner however it sat for about 2 years he said and had a dead battery. He jumped it (with his truck turned on) when i bought it and it sounded good. Also has a PC and random LED lights around the bike (am going to put it back to stock). So i popped in a new battery because the old one was only get about 2 volts after a charge. Picked one up off ebay (TMS brand and have ran the same type in my race bike for 3 years no problem).

Was showing 12.5 volts with no load then the second you turn on the ignition it drops to 6-7 volts. At one point i heard a lot of clicking from what sounds like a relay with the ignition and kill switch off but w/out touching the starter. I check the two 15a fuses and main relay underneath the seat and took a wire brush to the connectors.

I'm not too familiar w/ electrical systems or Yamaha so I figured I go straight to boards (after searching for a couple hours on here) and see if someone may be able to point me to a common problem or likely problem with these bikes.

I was thinking he may have fried the starter or starter relay when he jumped it but i'm not entirely sure. I don't think it's the battery but i guess i'm not sure on that either. Something is using a ton of juice the second the ignition turns on though because I usually don't even get a click when i hit the starter. I put the battery on a charger even though I thought 12.5-6 was a good number.

Could be something as simple as a nad ground I suppose. I have a manual being shipped to me now so I can start tracing the wires but any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It also spits out an er-1 code (which could mean a number of things it sounds like) when it has enough juice to turn on the dash. It's odd because sometimes it will have enough power to turn on the dash (like 9-10 volts) and other times i'll just hear a click from around the battery when i turn the key.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Checked again just to verify...battery was showing 12.58 unloaded, turn on the key it drops to 6v hit starter and down to 4v. Threw the battery back on trickle. Going to try and jump the solenoid tomorrow and look the fuses a bit more closely. Could vary well be cheap 30 dollar ebay battery isn't up for the task though. Feel free to share any insight

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Guessing the battery is bad because I tried to start my sv with it and did the same thing. Then I tried to jump it with a car battery and it just cranked and cranked. I smelled fuel, i think i'm just missing spark somewhere.

edit - think it may be a starter issue...seems common for these years.

· Registered
2 Posts
starter issue

i had the same problem with my 04 my bike slowly started to show signs of slow cranks so i bought a new battery thinking that would solve the problem...it didn't do anything so i thought about the starter after reading a lot of forums found a starter on craigslist from a 07 r1 put it on and now the starter makes a loud whine noise and it sounds like it turning fine but does not start the bike at all but bike bump starts fine and runs fine what should i do now

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What does the voltage drop to when you hit the starter button? (Mine would drop under 10 volts when it was bad) It may sound like its turning over fine but that will verify it. For example when i had my bad starter in it wouldnt even start with a jump...turned over ok but just not enough juice to actually start he bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.