Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an old Yamaha fan that moved to track on a S1KRR a few years ago. I'm looking at buying a buddy's 2016 R1M and making a mainly track bike and leaving the S1K for the street. Looking around and trying to get all the advice from an obviously awesome forum.

·
Registered
'08 r1
3,349 Posts
If the price is right, grab up the m and give her a taste test. If you don't like it, flip it. Great bikes, hold their resale very well.

Most of the stuff that makes the m the m ends up getting stripped when they go on the track. Just something to consider. The abs is the first thing to go, then the electronic suspension. If you are stripping stuff and slapping your own stuff on there, I've always thought a regular r1 made more sense. That's just me though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, the price should be right. He is looking to get out of it and go to an R6 next season because he is getting his race license. I just want a bike I can ride on the track with some aftermarket fairings and not have to mod much. He already has a full akro, RCS19, woodcraft lip ons, etc. Only thing I want to add is the auto blip. The price is great. I want the bike to serve as a backup street bike too for when my cousin comes to visit so I won't be going FULL track with it. The Ohlins seems to be able to be set to manual according to some videos I've watched so it is better than the BMW electronics. Plus Wheelie control is a separate setting from side and TCS. This is a plus since I find myself having to control wheelie with my wrist and right foot with the S1K.

·
Registered
'08 r1
3,349 Posts
Yeah, the price should be right. He is looking to get out of it and go to an R6 next season because he is getting his race license. I just want a bike I can ride on the track with some aftermarket fairings and not have to mod much. He already has a full akro, RCS19, woodcraft lip ons, etc. Only thing I want to add is the auto blip. The price is great. I want the bike to serve as a backup street bike too for when my cousin comes to visit so I won't be going FULL track with it. The Ohlins seems to be able to be set to manual according to some videos I've watched so it is better than the BMW electronics. Plus Wheelie control is a separate setting from side and TCS. This is a plus since I find myself having to control wheelie with my wrist and right foot with the S1K.
Sounds like you can't lose then. Love it or hate it, you won't be out much even if you have to flip it.

I'd shelve the oem carbon bits and throw a cheap set of chinesium on there, but, that's just me. Fiberglass is another option. If she is going to split duty street and track though, the chinesium might make more sense because you will still have lights.

Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like you can't lose then. Love it or hate it, you won't be out much even if you have to flip it.

I'd shelve the oem carbon bits and throw a cheap set of chinesium on there, but, that's just me. Fiberglass is another option. If she is going to split duty street and track though, the chinesium might make more sense because you will still have lights.

Just some food for thought.
Precisely what I’m looking at doing. Just want to add a belly pan to it. I’ve been swapping my fairings back and forth on the S1K and it is a PITA.
I like that I can just take the mirrors off the R1M minimal tape on the headlights/tail and I’m good to go. I don’t see any race fairings that can have a kickstand installed.
looking at the gomototrip R1M street fairings. A guy on here did them and has a belly pan he obviously added. Looking for that part to add to it and the budget looks pretty light at around $750 or so total. Should be a lot cheaper than replacing those stock R1M fairings if I mess them up.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I have a set of painted race fairings and I am always looking for spare R1M fairings lol. You ever decide to part with em let me know. I took my M stock suspension in and had it revealed and sprung for my weight and then turned it to the manual settings and it feels great. I'd say I don't notice any difference between this gem suspension now and my previous 09 r1 with the FGRT and TTX on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a set of painted race fairings and I am always looking for spare R1M fairings lol. You ever decide to part with em let me know. I took my M stock suspension in and had it revealed and sprung for my weight and then turned it to the manual settings and it feels great. I'd say I don't notice any difference between this gem suspension now and my previous 09 r1 with the FGRT and TTX on it.
I plan on keeping them wrapped up and stored in a protective bin. My buddy had an off at the track and replaced them. It wasn’t cheap. So I’m keeping them protected in case I decide to sell it or stop tracking it. 😝

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
I use my R1M for both track and street and it’s a great bike. Just a few suspension changes and it’s feels right at home at either track or street. The electronics work extremely well on these bikes as well.

You most definitely want to remove the OEM carbon fiber fairings and install race fairings for the track. You don’t want to mess them carbon ones up…they’re too pretty and are crazy expensive! Changing from street to track and back again is not a big deal. It’s a fairly easy process once you do it a few times.

Enjoy your new bike!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts