Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be getting a R1 in a month or two. I need to find out a few things before drop $$$.
First off this is not my first bike, I had a HD Sportster 1200, and I really feel the need for speed, so time to upgrade lol.
Second this is my main wheels to and from college.
Third I am looking to at the 01 R1 but I notice there is allot of stuff for the 02s. What is the difference between the 2001 and 02 R1.
Finally is there anything you guys think I should know (exclusive to the R1) before I buy it, oh yea also this thing is going to see a little street race action in it's day...so what do you guys think is the first mod I should do when I get it????

Thanks,
SuperchargedRS
Oh yea, I also have a budget ok about 5k

·
Forum Moderator
3,676 Posts
heh... 5k wont get you anywhere... Might want to up that budget before you think about getting an R1 that'll hang with any of the local sportbikes in WA state..

If anything the bikes out here are heavly modded... as for street racing.. I guess I might be out of the loop... if you want some local advice/guidance feel free to lookup www.r1wolfpack.com we are a Puget Sound R1 riding group.. Hope that helps

·
Forum Moderator
3,676 Posts
excuse me... I didn't even answer any of your questions.. the major differance between the 02/01 R1's are Fi/carb... They both make basically the same amount of power... power delivery is a bit smoother on the Fi (02) bikes...

There are the same amount of mods for all models of R1's... If you are looking to go ALL out (moddin wise).. turbo, nos, ect... the carb bikes are your best bet..

*note* I still reccomend you checkout the R6's... I made the move from a chopper style bike to a streetbike.. and believe me.. they are a totally diff bike... Just dont toss out the option.. Run over to eastside motosports and see if you can get a demo on an R6..

138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ment racing my friends NSX lol, not bikes.
Thanks for the reply, I found a few bikes (02 R1s)on cycle trader for under 5k.
I dont think I will mod it that much, I have a camaro that I blow all my money on, the bike is just a cheap way to keep all the guys at collge in check lol, and I like having a bike as daly driver.

·
Forum Moderator
3,676 Posts
I have a shopping cart that'll take your buddies NSX :lol

any modern sportbike will take an NSX.. 600cc + ... careful of cycle trader... most good prices there are ripoffs... best bet is to find something local..

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yea, you're NOT gonna find a 02 R1 for $5000 or less, unless something is very seriously wrong with it.

Tarl

138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/2/2/65946822.htm
http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/0/6/65846206.htm

That's just a quick search, no offense buy this isn't a handcrafted one of a kind limited edition elite bike, just a fun crotch rocket. I don't need a modded bike, just a stock one (might clean up the rear a little though). And for a two year old mass produced stock sport bike I wont pay more then 5k, thats just crazy, I'm also not gona buy it in WA, I'm gona get one in CA.

From KBB

2002 Yamaha YZF-R1
4-Cylinder
4-Stroke
998cc

Trade-In Value (Good Condition) $5255

The trade-in value represents what you might expect to receive from a dealer for this consumer-owned unit. Keep in mind that the dealer must then absorb the cost of making the unit ready for sale, advertising, sales commissions, arranging financing and insurance and standing behind the unit for any mechanical or safety problems. Trade-in values are based on clean units in good condition, with all original standard equipment. Mileage/condition and additional equipment may have a substantial impact on the value shown above.

·
Banned
208 Posts
This would be your first bike... your HD sportster is totally different than a "sportbike".

Need for speed? Street racing? Keeping college kids in check? No offense but getting a bike for these reasons is spelling disaster!

Im sure we wouldnt be able to talk you out of the R1 either way, but advice from me since ive seen 3 new riders go down in front of my eyes.... get something smaller and older, that way, when you throw it in a bush, its an easy fix :)

Ride it for a couple months and then upgrade, if your worried about what your friends think of you, than your just a case of darwin waiting to happen :riding

You wont be able to find an 02-03 for less than 6k at the least. Even then, that 6k bike probably has something really wrong with it... (went down, has some scratches and such... etc)

·
Shut up and ride
2,359 Posts
tidbit said:
I have a shopping cart that'll take your buddies NSX :lol

any modern sportbike will take an NSX.. 600cc + ... careful of cycle trader... most good prices there are ripoffs... best bet is to find something local..
:iamwithst

That is a no brainer, but I hope these are not your main reasons for getting a sport bike. You may want to take a little patience with the R1 when and if you get it. Please please respect the bike, or it will get it's respect the hard way.

·
Anyone see a Honda I'm hungry
748 Posts

·
...Is just so addicted to R1..
880 Posts
why not a 600...

In the hopes of helping avoid another statistic....

I would say buy a good 600 for a season- as has already been mentioned, your sportster just aint a sport bike- and the liter-bike power will easily overwhelm you, regardless that you're used to V twin torque... Not to mention used to geometry of a cruiser!

I'm not trying to sound like an arrogant ass- the truth is, my motorcycle problem extends well beyond sportbikes, I've owned and continue to own multiple bikes all the way from Norton to Harley To Yammie... I find that when I go through a cruiser "stent" where I ride a cruiser consistently for a few weeks, when I get back on a liter bike, Even I notice that my response is different- of course its a quick adjustment, but that's cause I've had a chance to make my mistakes on sportbikes!

I just hope you give yourself a fair chance. A liter bike aint a bike to learn on. Get a 600 for at least a season- learn how to make a sportbike do what you want it to do- then assess your skills and make a decision to move to a liter bike- you'll probably save money, insurance, and god willing- hopefully avoid some injuries or something more serious....

·
Voodoo!!
7,610 Posts
rydfree said:
Those are some pretty slick bikes for $32-3800 . You interested in any prime land in Florida I can hook you up ???
I agree 100%! I'd run for the hills!

Voodoo

·
Banned
208 Posts
Im glad I wasnt the only person who posted what I did lol

·
I should be riding
628 Posts
SuperchargedRS said:

Trade-In Value (Good Condition) $5255

As stated, Trade-In. You are not a dealer, you won't find an 02 for that price. If you budget 6K, you might get one of the 1st R1s.

Go to ebay or the for sale section on this forum. you'll see people are buying 02s around 7k to start.

Not to flame you about not able to find a good deal, if you can, everyone on this board will congrats you. Just putting some reality to light.

·
GO CHIEFS!!!
6,864 Posts
:lol

Those are some good deals in cycle trader. :bash Expect to pay at least $6k for a 02 model. DO NOT go for anything less unless you can go see the bike personally (9 of 10 will be scams)... You can probably find a 00 or so model for around $5k or less (there is a 00 in great shape in my town for $4500)...

A R1 is an insane step up from a sportster 1200... I used to be able to blow my roommates 2001 sportster 1200 away on my old yzf600 which is WAY slower than the 1...

- BA

·
HighRider
699 Posts
Joey said:
As stated, Trade-In. You are not a dealer, you won't find an 02 for that price. If you budget 6K, you might get one of the 1st R1s.

Go to ebay or the for sale section on this forum. you'll see people are buying 02s around 7k to start.

Not to flame you about not able to find a good deal, if you can, everyone on this board will congrats you. Just putting some reality to light.
Nothing like going right to the Kelly Blue Book site eh Joey? Are you riding this weekend? 52 degrees on Sunday, 47 on Saturday. I'll be out, let me know.

http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/ke.kb....8;rc;t&29&2002;Yamaha;YZF-R1;44998;15090;;;;&

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I would say buy a good 600 for a season- as has already been mentioned, your sportster just aint a sport bike- and the liter-bike power will easily overwhelm you, regardless that you're used to V twin torque... Not to mention used to geometry of a cruiser!
Very good advise!

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
The yellow bike is a guy's here in South Carolina, I will be sending him this link now. He will be pissed. That is some funny shit, seeing a bike like that for sale on the west coast. Maybe I should sell somebody Gregg's silver, well now black and red, R1. I know that I could probably get somewhere around 5K for it.

Seriously man. That yellow bike really is from SC and I would recommend staying away from a deal that looks to good to be true. Good luck to you though. If you are interested in an 01 champs, I know a guy that is getting rid of one and I think he wants around 6 for it. It is polished and all.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts