Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always had some time of motorized vehicle. This year I went to a streetbike. I bought the R-1 because I did not want to grow out of it and you can't beat the R-1 . I'm still paying on it and want to spend my money wisely. I put 4300miles on it in 5 months and already need a little more. any suggestions on types of exhausts, steering stabilizers or anything else that will further excite me while riding. I ride hard and already need new tires. Any suggestions?

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
OK how big is you bank account...ready?
Exhaust:Akrapovic full system 1000.00
Steering Damper:Scotts or Ohlins 400.00
Ivans Needles 145.00
Tires: I like Pilot Sports:around 300.00 a set from www.tireexpress.com
That should get you started....oh damn
:machinegu WELCOME :machinegu (my standard welcome)

·
Road Warrior
721 Posts
Track days? Exhaust+jetting? Steel braided lines? Those are the things I am looking forward to.
Until then I'll just practice my wheelies:cool:

·
1,894 Posts
Damn I did forget steel braided lines and EBC HH pads:100.00 or so

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
truthfully I have never heard of Akrapovic exhaust? could you send me the link so I can read up on it. I was actually thinking of going to Micron. What do you think?When you say steel braided lines, for what application? What should I do for frame sliders and spools? Do you use them? Should I go to a smaller tire size from stock? meaning should I go to a 180 rear or stay with the 190?
what do you think-thanx

·
1,894 Posts
Her ya go http://www.akrapovic-ai.si/ and as far as the steel braided lines I just use them on the front(much better braking) but you can do the rear mainly for looks
If you go to a 180 rear tire the bike will definitely turn in faster,I use a 180 on the track but like a 190 for the street.Frame sliders are a MUST,that is the best 40.00 you will ever spend,I have proven this to myself. If by spools you are talking spools for the swingarm stand that is what I use I trust them more than a pad stand. Hope this helps let me know if I can help on anything else. That's what we are here for:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the Akrapovic looks nice how does it sound? I want loud but I still want it to sound like a street bike. I know some exhausts on street bikes just sound horrible. Do you have any info on the performance of the micron exhaust system or in your opinion is the Akrapovic better. About those frame sliders, what is the best way to cut a nice hole in the side plastic? My friend did his and I would like it to look as best as possilble. Do you have any pics of your bike I could check out?

Just as info along with myself two of my friends also have R1's I know you can't beat em!

·
1,894 Posts
The Akra pipe is not a loud ass pipe like a D & D with the packing removed but it sounds smooth a little louder than stock and it is the best performance exhaust for the R1 if you go with a full system. A slip on is only good for minor HP increase and poser value if you go slip on go with something other than Akra for $$$ reasons,I use an M4 slip on for now till I can get the full Akra. Frame sliders...ok what I did was figure out center of the motor mount bolt then put masking tape over the area to be cut(this keeps the paint from chipping) you can use a hole saw but go slow or a dremel tool either way works just fine but if you use a hole saw make sure you take your time because it will try and walk as you cut and get one just a hair bigger than the slider.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I think of anything else I'll be sure to ask. Hows the weather? supposed to snow here today.

·
1,894 Posts
AAAAHHHHHHHH freekin raining and cold today but last night kicked ass:rock :rock

·
Road Warrior
721 Posts
Steel braided lines are replacement brake lines(usually for the front) and work better than stock because the steel lines don't expand under pressure like stock lines, giving sharper brake response. A neat way to cut the hole for the frame sliders is to put a crayon(cut for length) into the hex bolt for the slider, and install the faring. Press the faring against the crayon(liquid paper or ink on the tip may help) and presto, exact centre. Drill on the dot for a pilot hole, then finish with a hole saw, or a compass and Dremel. Don't forget to tape the paint side to stop chipping/cracking. You'll end up with a neat, centred hole - trick.:cool:

·
1,894 Posts
Good idea with the crayon I used a center punch stuck in the bolt

·
Registered
88 Posts
there is a company that makes sliders that you don't have to cut the plastic. I have them on my bike and they worked for me. (I was scared to screw up my new toy bu cutting on the plastic) as for the akrapovic full system that is what im saving for. I have Ivans needels in now and put a 520 conversion kit on and what a difference power wheelies in second it is sweet. oh by the way the akra sys sounds sweet on the r1. I can't wait for mine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts