Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks! My name is Mike and I'm new to the site, but not new to riding. Been riding since 2007. I have a heavily 2013 modded R1. I live in Virginia. Looking to meet some cool peeps, and maybe get some info on where to go in my area for performance upgrades, and things of that nature. Looking forward to meeting you all. Peace!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Horsepower whisperer
1,377 Posts
Welcome young man. I've been riding since the 70s... :grin2:

In for dem pics. :nerd:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome young man. I've been riding since the 70s... :grin2:

In for dem pics. :nerd:
Since the 70's huh? I wasn't even thought of yet.

Welcome :)

Saw you signed up for Venom Squadron-welcome to the 757!!

Careful for all the potholes and non driving people!!
Thanks for the warm welcome. I will definitely keep my eyes open!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Going to post a few of the upgrades here because there are too many to list. Also, pics will be in later this afternoon. Had some things to do after work yesterday. Anyway, upgrades include:

* Vortex V2 Adjustable Rearsets
* RC Components Aluminum Sprocket
* ASV C/5 Series Brake & Clutch Levers
* Competition Werkes Integrated Tail Light
* Competition Werkes Fender Eliminator Kit
* Hot Bodies Flush Mount Turn Signals
* Zero Gravity SR Windscreen
* Myrtle West Adjustable Lowering Link
* Myrtle West Adjustable Kickstand
* Myrtle West Extended Swing Arm
* Aluminum Fairing Mount Kit
* Aluminum Engine Bolt Kit
* BK Moto Bi Xenon Projector
* GYTR Full Carbon Fiber Exhaust System

I am in the market for a new full racing exhaust, quick shifter, ECU flash and/or PCV. Please bestow your knowledge upon me in regards to those item. Thanks in advance for reading and providing insight.

·
Just happy to be here...
1,749 Posts
Since winter is coming *insert Game of Thrones emoji here*, I would remove that exhaust and sell it, and then find a nice racing exhaust. I have a bunch of mods going on and I run a PC quickshifter but no PCV, the QS runs off of my @SBK Unlimited ECU flash. I wont dick with a PCV until I get my bike tuned, hopefully in spring.

The Flash is important for **De-Restricting your bike**. Our bikes (09-14) have a crazy like 85% throttle limit in 1-4 gears if I'm not mistaken, and there is a huge power dip in the bottom end when transitioning to midrange. If you want crazy good numbers and a perfect A/F ratio, then pay for a tune.

It doesn't work with everyones bike but most like it extremely well.

Iv'e had ZERO problems with my PC QS using the SBU flash.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since winter is coming *insert Game of Thrones emoji here*, I would remove that exhaust and sell it, and then find a nice racing exhaust. I have a bunch of mods going on and I run a PC quickshifter but no PCV, the QS runs off of my @SBK Unlimited ECU flash. I wont dick with a PCV until I get my bike tuned, hopefully in spring.

The Flash is important for **De-Restricting your bike**. Our bikes (09-14) have a crazy like 85% throttle limit in 1-4 gears if I'm not mistaken, and there is a huge power dip in the bottom end when transitioning to midrange. If you want crazy good numbers and a perfect A/F ratio, then pay for a tune.

It doesn't work with everyones bike but most like it extremely well.

Iv'e had ZERO problems with my PC QS using the SBU flash.
I'm looking at Graves and Akrapovic. To be honest, I am having a difficult time choosing between the two, but the Graves is a little easier on my pocket. I am going to have the ECU flashed immediately. That's priority #1 as of now. I need to find a reputable shop in the Hampton Roads area that can educate me on all things motorcycle, as well as perform any/all performance upgrades for a reasonable price.

·
Just happy to be here...
1,749 Posts
I have a full Titanium racing Akrapovic exhaust...... I'ts not loud IMO. My stock header with a M4 cat delete and A&R racing baffles was louder I swear.

If you want that nasty amazing R1 beastly growl.... Get the Graves. I'm sure they are so close on power levels its not even funny. Go for looks and sound.

Nothing that you're going to do to your bike needs to be done at a shop. Road going upgrades are all super easy on our bike. Everything is basically plug and play. You don''t wanna flash your ECU until you know what your going to have done. Its kind of a Plan ahead thing.

Go on SBU's website and they have a questionare that you can look at to see what I am talking about. Don't get ahead of your flash service cause then they will give you the wrong flash, and if you change your mind after its setup and flashed, luckily SBU will re-flash your ECU 4 or 5 times for free if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a full Titanium racing Akrapovic exhaust...... I'ts not loud IMO. My stock header with a M4 cat delete and A&R racing baffles was louder I swear.

If you want that nasty amazing R1 beastly growl.... Get the Graves. I'm sure they are so close on power levels its not even funny. Go for looks and sound.

Nothing that you're going to do to your bike needs to be done at a shop. Road going upgrades are all super easy on our bike. Everything is basically plug and play. You don''t wanna flash your ECU until you know what your going to have done. Its kind of a Plan ahead thing.

Go on SBU's website and they have a questionare that you can look at to see what I am talking about. Don't get ahead of your flash service cause then they will give you the wrong flash, and if you change your mind after its setup and flashed, luckily SBU will re-flash your ECU 4 or 5 times for free if I'm not mistaken.
Thanks for all the top notch advice. I'm not mechanically savvy when it comes to the bike, so unfortunately I'll be shelling out cash for labor until I can do my own repairs/mods/etc. I'm actually on the Graves website just looking around. Will more than likely buy it from Revzilla since they offer the best deals I've seen so far. Will be checking out SBU's site here in a bit. Really digging this beast: https://www.gravesport.com/products/graves-motorsports-link-r1-full-titanium-exhaust-yamaha-r1-2009-2014.html

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Graves is a great system for the price.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
No idea

·
Just happy to be here...
1,749 Posts
Thanks for all the top notch advice. I'm not mechanically savvy when it comes to the bike, so unfortunately I'll be shelling out cash for labor until I can do my own repairs/mods/etc. I'm actually on the Graves website just looking around. Will more than likely buy it from Revzilla since they offer the best deals I've seen so far. Will be checking out SBU's site here in a bit. Really digging this beast: https://www.gravesport.com/products/graves-motorsports-link-r1-full-titanium-exhaust-yamaha-r1-2009-2014.html

What do you think?

What else do you want to do??? You don't need a mechanic, just a few beers and some simple tools. I thought the same thing but by now I have had my ENTIRE bike apart..... TWICE! Its easy peasy :33:

Yeah you can get different color stickers @One2 might be able to enlighten us, I think he got blue ones.

Also, there are vendors on this forum that may give you discounts on most stuff:
www.hustlehardracing.com is my sponser, they are smaller but every now and again they have KILLER deals.
@SpidermanSS - he works for Graves if im not mistaken
@SBK Unlimited - Awesome vendor on here.
@ridersdiscount - TJ is awesome
@MotoMillion - another great vendor
@HardRacing - They have blowout sales sometimes with leftover items.

A few others im sure.

Just start contacting these people before you order from Graves' website. And you can put up a *WTB* (Want to buy) thread and say your looking for a full graves exhaust, and you can put in there that you might be willing to trade plus cash with your GYTR, someone is always looking to go back to stock, and at least your parts are GYTR so someone might want that to sell the bike with.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What else do you want to do??? You don't need a mechanic, just a few beers and some simple tools. I thought the same thing but by now I have had my ENTIRE bike apart..... TWICE! Its easy peasy :33:

Yeah you can get different color stickers @One2 might be able to enlighten us, I think he got blue ones.

Also, there are vendors on this forum that may give you discounts on most stuff:
www.hustlehardracing.com is my sponser, they are smaller but every now and again they have KILLER deals.
@SpidermanSS - he works for Graves if im not mistaken
@SBK Unlimited - Awesome vendor on here.
@ridersdiscount - TJ is awesome
@MotoMillion - another great vendor
@HardRacing - They have blowout sales sometimes with leftover items.

A few others im sure.

Just start contacting these people before you order from Graves' website. And you can put up a *WTB* (Want to buy) thread and say your looking for a full graves exhaust, and you can put in there that you might be willing to trade plus cash with your GYTR, someone is always looking to go back to stock, and at least your parts are GYTR so someone might want that to sell the bike with.
The only thing I'm really looking to do is swap the exhaust, get the ECU flashed and/or PCV, and a quick shifter. Been thinking maybe top and bottom velocity stacks as well. After that I think I'll be done for a while. Maybe upgrade my forks and rear shock absorber to Ohlins. Not sure yet. Thanks for all the information and the point of contacts you listed. Much appreciated mate.

·
Just happy to be here...
1,749 Posts
The only thing I'm really looking to do is swap the exhaust, get the ECU flashed and/or PCV, and a quick shifter. Been thinking maybe top and bottom velocity stacks as well. After that I think I'll be done for a while. Maybe upgrade my forks and rear shock absorber to Ohlins. Not sure yet. Thanks for all the information and the point of contacts you listed. Much appreciated mate.
Everything you mentioned can be done with someone guiding you over the phone if your nervous. Take the leap of faith! lol Have a good weekend.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts