Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.
I'm Dean.
My reason for joining this site is to learn about the Yamaha R1 engine from real world users. I don't own a Yamaha motorcycle at this time. What I do have is a land speed car powered by a 2002 Yamaha R1 engine. In the land of motorcycle powered streamliners this is rare as 90% of this small field of specialty-built liners are powered by Suzuki's Busa engines and a few Kawasaki's.

What I do know is my liner is underpowered. Once I get back the CD estimate of the car, I can extrapolate within reason horsepower to the rear wheels. Using the highest CD estimate the car has only 130ish power. The best past has been 200.348 on the 3-mile course. The record in I/FS is 266 mph. and the record in the blown class is 312 mph.
I/FS= I under 1000 cc
F-fuel not gas, Nitro-Methanal-Alcohol-Nitrous,
S-Streamliner
B=Blown, G=Gas

Attachments

·
Registered
'08 r1
3,335 Posts
Get you a set of rods, deck that puppy, dial in your cams, and either feed her hydrazine or get you a snail for her. She's probably pushing it for all she's got cap'n. You polish them internals up nice and shiney and feed her the good stuff then with a proper tune the sky is the limit.

I don't think ftecu makes a harness for that year, maybe update it to an '08? With that older power plant tuning may be an issue. I'm unfamiliar with how to edit and manipulate the ecu's on that generation. Regardless, I'm interested in where this goes and I'd like to tag along for the ride, so, subbed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. This exactly the input I'm looking for. Tomorrow evening a friend with a 4-point scale is coming by so I can plug in the correct numbers for see how much power I will need to accomplish my goals. This along with the CD data will be important to know before setting a concrete plan.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thanks. This exactly the input I'm looking for. Tomorrow evening a friend with a 4-point scale is coming by so I can plug in the correct numbers for see how much power I will need to accomplish my goals. This along with the CD data will be important to know before setting a concrete plan.

Thanks again!
Interesting project, and I wish you the very best of luck.

·
Registered
'08 r1
3,335 Posts

Thanks again!
Eventually the flame front on the 5 valve is going to be your limiting factor. Part of the reason Yamaha moved away from it.

Feeding her nitrometh I'm not sure where that problem is gonna come up though. You'll have to find it on the dynograph.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I haven't pulled the engine yet for my first inspection. All I've done is a compression and leak down test of the engine, really for my benefit of learning about the engine's characteristics. You mentioned flame front which I'm interpreting it to mean fame travel within the combustion chamber isn't very efficient? So, on later engines the spark plug location was repositioned while still utilizing 5 valves or Yamaha moved from a 5-valve layout? I have ordered a manual for the engine. That said the changes made yearly by Yamaha I have little idea of where to find a listing containing such details. I searched Wikipedia earlier this morning after reading your commits, its somewhat helpful.

I have no plans to run Nitro. I previously listed the options for the I/ F class of streamliner race cars.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
'08 r1
3,335 Posts
That's the short of it. There are a couple articles about them moving from the genesis to the 4 valve. Basically, the air moves funny through the 3 intake valves and your flame front does funny things at the tippy top.

Earlier you had said you were going to feed her nitrometh, so that's why I mentioned it. That would change the flame front because it has a lower flash. Might make things more efficient. I don't know though, that's just conjecture on my end.

If you are going to run race gas, you'll still need to tune so you don't get knock.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I think Yamaha realized they would reach a limit with the 5 valve configuration, with their brief excursion in supplying a 5 valve engine to an Formula-1 Car racing team. 04. 05 & 06 took it as far as they could. They made up for some of that limitation by reducing weight, and achieved 1:1 stock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. This information is concerning at best. With the info provided I will make an effort to fully understand the impact of the 5-valve design. I was hoping not to start from scratch beyond billet rods, pistons and cams with the current engine. Any idea of the power potential of a 5-valve engine? I'm guessing for the blown class which I will setup the second engine for I should look at a later model R1 engine as a starting point? This engine will be turbo charged.

Another question I want to ask is, will I need to acquire a different engine harness for a newer R1 engine? If the harness between the two engine varieties are similar it would make life a bit less complexed when running both classes.
Also, any of you guy familiar with performance shops building high performance R1 engines? I'm located in Illinois.

Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
'08 r1
3,335 Posts
There's somebody on the board with a boosted genesis. Did something like 230mph on the flats. I don't know what it's pushing at the wheel.

There's only one way to figure out what the old girl has got in her. If I were building an engine though I'd build on an 08 because of the ease of tuning. That's just me though.

I really really want to know what a 5 valve will do built though, so I'm following along. Watch that heat, extra holes are prone to warp. Bad enough that Ferrari's wouldn't start after pitting for tires because the head gasket went along with compression.

·
Registered
156 Posts
There's somebody on the board with a boosted genesis. Did something like 230mph on the flats. I don't know what it's pushing at the wheel.

There's only one way to figure out what the old girl has got in her. If I were building an engine though I'd build on an 08 because of the ease of tuning. That's just me though.

I really really want to know what a 5 valve will do built though, so I'm following along. Watch that heat, extra holes are prone to warp. Bad enough that Ferrari's wouldn't start after pitting for tires because the head gasket went along with compression.
Yeah that right it call Fastest speed achieved on an R1. Person name is LSR R1 I think look it up there videos

·
Venom X/O
26,841 Posts
If you need more horsepower you may be better off switching platforms to the new BMW motor. They seem to be able to hold up to builds and make much more horsepower. Yamaha isn’t known for high horses, even the new bikes are making under 200HP at the wheel while the BMW’s and Ducatis are peaking 215-220rwhp. They just seem to make more power. The Ducati makes the most, but the reliability is questionable. That’s why I suggested the BMW. It’ll make more power and have some higher reliability. That’s if you’re staying 1000cc. If you decide to step it up then yes a ZX14 - Busa motor makes much more sense.

·
Registered
'08 r1
3,335 Posts
If you need more horsepower you may be better off switching platforms to the new BMW motor. They seem to be able to hold up to builds and make much more horsepower. Yamaha isn’t known for high horses, even the new bikes are making under 200HP at the wheel while the BMW’s and Ducatis are peaking 215-220rwhp. They just seem to make more power. The Ducati makes the most, but the reliability is questionable. That’s why I suggested the BMW. It’ll make more power and have some higher reliability. That’s if you’re staying 1000cc. If you decide to step it up then yes a ZX14 - Busa motor makes much more sense.
I want to argue with this post because Yamaha. You're right though. Yamaha has always held an ethos of chassis over power. This goes all the way back to the 2 stroke gp days.

·
Venom X/O
26,841 Posts
I want to argue with this post because Yamaha. You're right though. Yamaha has always held an ethos of chassis over power. This goes all the way back to the 2 stroke gp days.
It’s frustrating. Yamaha has promised some top level racers a stronger engine, but if that ever translates down to us mortals we shall see. I hope so though. I’m a Yamaha loyal type of guy, I can ride it and it works.

·
Registered
'08 r1
3,335 Posts
There is something about watching that 5 valve busting it loose in 6th at 200mph though. Boost makes a beast!

Is it what nature intended? No. Is it an unruly animal? Absolutely.

These things can make huge power for as small as the power plants are. That's true of all literbikes though. As you say, there are better platforms to work with for this application. I mean, the r1 chassis means absolutely nothing here, because, there is no Yamaha chassis on the thing.

·
Registered
288 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
It’s frustrating. Yamaha has promised some top level racers a stronger engine, but if that ever translates down to us mortals we shall see. I hope so though. I’m a Yamaha loyal type of guy, I can ride it and it works.
Kevin Cameron is ?was? a leading motorcyle engineering authority, here's his analysis of the 5 valve concept.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Guys. realize that astonishingly powerfull new electric motors are on the horizon, and that Yamaha, with it's elctronics depth and background, is at the forefront.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts