Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'08 r1
3,348 Posts
Get you a set of rods, deck that puppy, dial in your cams, and either feed her hydrazine or get you a snail for her. She's probably pushing it for all she's got cap'n. You polish them internals up nice and shiney and feed her the good stuff then with a proper tune the sky is the limit.

I don't think ftecu makes a harness for that year, maybe update it to an '08? With that older power plant tuning may be an issue. I'm unfamiliar with how to edit and manipulate the ecu's on that generation. Regardless, I'm interested in where this goes and I'd like to tag along for the ride, so, subbed.

·
Registered
'08 r1
3,348 Posts
Thanks. This exactly the input I'm looking for. Tomorrow evening a friend with a 4-point scale is coming by so I can plug in the correct numbers for see how much power I will need to accomplish my goals. This along with the CD data will be important to know before setting a concrete plan.

Thanks again!
Eventually the flame front on the 5 valve is going to be your limiting factor. Part of the reason Yamaha moved away from it.

Feeding her nitrometh I'm not sure where that problem is gonna come up though. You'll have to find it on the dynograph.

·
Registered
'08 r1
3,348 Posts
That's the short of it. There are a couple articles about them moving from the genesis to the 4 valve. Basically, the air moves funny through the 3 intake valves and your flame front does funny things at the tippy top.

Earlier you had said you were going to feed her nitrometh, so that's why I mentioned it. That would change the flame front because it has a lower flash. Might make things more efficient. I don't know though, that's just conjecture on my end.

If you are going to run race gas, you'll still need to tune so you don't get knock.

·
Registered
'08 r1
3,348 Posts
There's somebody on the board with a boosted genesis. Did something like 230mph on the flats. I don't know what it's pushing at the wheel.

There's only one way to figure out what the old girl has got in her. If I were building an engine though I'd build on an 08 because of the ease of tuning. That's just me though.

I really really want to know what a 5 valve will do built though, so I'm following along. Watch that heat, extra holes are prone to warp. Bad enough that Ferrari's wouldn't start after pitting for tires because the head gasket went along with compression.

·
Registered
'08 r1
3,348 Posts
If you need more horsepower you may be better off switching platforms to the new BMW motor. They seem to be able to hold up to builds and make much more horsepower. Yamaha isn’t known for high horses, even the new bikes are making under 200HP at the wheel while the BMW’s and Ducatis are peaking 215-220rwhp. They just seem to make more power. The Ducati makes the most, but the reliability is questionable. That’s why I suggested the BMW. It’ll make more power and have some higher reliability. That’s if you’re staying 1000cc. If you decide to step it up then yes a ZX14 - Busa motor makes much more sense.
I want to argue with this post because Yamaha. You're right though. Yamaha has always held an ethos of chassis over power. This goes all the way back to the 2 stroke gp days.

·
Registered
'08 r1
3,348 Posts
There is something about watching that 5 valve busting it loose in 6th at 200mph though. Boost makes a beast!

Is it what nature intended? No. Is it an unruly animal? Absolutely.

These things can make huge power for as small as the power plants are. That's true of all literbikes though. As you say, there are better platforms to work with for this application. I mean, the r1 chassis means absolutely nothing here, because, there is no Yamaha chassis on the thing.

·
Registered
'08 r1
3,348 Posts
Sorry to be the one to break this to you, but they'l be kicking our asses, all of us, no matter what you ride now,
in about 5 years time.
The electric motorcycle is the most lackluster appliance I have ever used. Is the performance there, sure, in spades, that's not the point though. They don't set my teeth on edge. I don't get that visceral tactile feeling and feedback. The roar or thousands of explosions hurtling me through time and space as my vision warps and my body experiences that heavy shock of the fight against the forces of nature as the machine bends the laws of physics to my will with a turn of my wrist. Man was never meant to experience such bliss. I feel blessed to have had the privilege.

If you don't get it, you never will. The electric motorcycle will never replace the liter bike.

·
Registered
'08 r1
3,348 Posts
Absolutely lackluster. As exciting as a toaster. All the personality of a snail.

'Can emulate any bike you've ever ridden'

No, no it can't. I really thought I'd done a good job trying to convey why one of those electric scooters can't provide you with the same experience as a combustion engine. I guess my closing sentiment applies though. If you don't get it...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts