Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
307 Posts
Thanks. This exactly the input I'm looking for. Tomorrow evening a friend with a 4-point scale is coming by so I can plug in the correct numbers for see how much power I will need to accomplish my goals. This along with the CD data will be important to know before setting a concrete plan.

Thanks again!
Interesting project, and I wish you the very best of luck.

· Registered
307 Posts
I think Yamaha realized they would reach a limit with the 5 valve configuration, with their brief excursion in supplying a 5 valve engine to an Formula-1 Car racing team. 04. 05 & 06 took it as far as they could. They made up for some of that limitation by reducing weight, and achieved 1:1 stock.

· Registered
307 Posts

· Registered
307 Posts
It’s frustrating. Yamaha has promised some top level racers a stronger engine, but if that ever translates down to us mortals we shall see. I hope so though. I’m a Yamaha loyal type of guy, I can ride it and it works.
Kevin Cameron is ?was? a leading motorcyle engineering authority, here's his analysis of the 5 valve concept.

· Registered
307 Posts
Guys. realize that astonishingly powerfull new electric motors are on the horizon, and that Yamaha, with it's elctronics depth and background, is at the forefront.

· Registered
307 Posts
The electric motorcycle is the most lackluster appliance I have ever used. Is the performance there, sure, in spades, that's not the point though. They don't set my teeth on edge. I don't get that visceral tactile feeling and feedback. The roar or thousands of explosions hurtling me through time and space as my vision warps and my body experiences that heavy shock of the fight against the forces of nature as the machine bends the laws of physics to my will with a turn of my wrist. Man was never meant to experience such bliss. I feel blessed to have had the privilege.

If you don't get it, you never will. The electric motorcycle will never replace the liter bike.
With current electronic processing technology, one could emulate, any gasoline powered sport bike, you've ridden, or desire, moroever, change that, with a mere menu gesture. A lot of very smart people are working very hard, on electrical energy storage, and it's evolving fast. If I've learned anything in my career as an Electronics Engineer, it's that the future will be here, before you can even grasp it.

· Registered
307 Posts
Absolutely lackluster. As exciting as a toaster. All the personality of a snail.

'Can emulate any bike you've ever ridden'

No, no it can't. I really thought I'd done a good job trying to convey why one of those electric scooters can't provide you with the same experience as a combustion engine. I guess my closing sentiment applies though. If you don't get it...
I get it, you hate the intial crop of electric bikes. It's very early days, there Joe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts