Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.
I'm Dean.
My reason for joining this site is to learn about the Yamaha R1 engine from real world users. I don't own a Yamaha motorcycle at this time. What I do have is a land speed car powered by a 2002 Yamaha R1 engine. In the land of motorcycle powered streamliners this is rare as 90% of this small field of specialty-built liners are powered by Suzuki's Busa engines and a few Kawasaki's.

What I do know is my liner is underpowered. Once I get back the CD estimate of the car, I can extrapolate within reason horsepower to the rear wheels. Using the highest CD estimate the car has only 130ish power. The best past has been 200.348 on the 3-mile course. The record in I/FS is 266 mph. and the record in the blown class is 312 mph.
I/FS= I under 1000 cc
F-fuel not gas, Nitro-Methanal-Alcohol-Nitrous,
S-Streamliner
B=Blown, G=Gas

Attachments

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. This exactly the input I'm looking for. Tomorrow evening a friend with a 4-point scale is coming by so I can plug in the correct numbers for see how much power I will need to accomplish my goals. This along with the CD data will be important to know before setting a concrete plan.

Thanks again!

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I haven't pulled the engine yet for my first inspection. All I've done is a compression and leak down test of the engine, really for my benefit of learning about the engine's characteristics. You mentioned flame front which I'm interpreting it to mean fame travel within the combustion chamber isn't very efficient? So, on later engines the spark plug location was repositioned while still utilizing 5 valves or Yamaha moved from a 5-valve layout? I have ordered a manual for the engine. That said the changes made yearly by Yamaha I have little idea of where to find a listing containing such details. I searched Wikipedia earlier this morning after reading your commits, its somewhat helpful.

I have no plans to run Nitro. I previously listed the options for the I/ F class of streamliner race cars.

Thanks again.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. This information is concerning at best. With the info provided I will make an effort to fully understand the impact of the 5-valve design. I was hoping not to start from scratch beyond billet rods, pistons and cams with the current engine. Any idea of the power potential of a 5-valve engine? I'm guessing for the blown class which I will setup the second engine for I should look at a later model R1 engine as a starting point? This engine will be turbo charged.

Another question I want to ask is, will I need to acquire a different engine harness for a newer R1 engine? If the harness between the two engine varieties are similar it would make life a bit less complexed when running both classes.
Also, any of you guy familiar with performance shops building high performance R1 engines? I'm located in Illinois.

Thanks again for all the help.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
For the last two weeks I started researching the great information this site has provided. Reaching out to the land speed community has been let's say interesting. I finally had an opportunity to drive the LS car last week. With the current gearing and the use of a jackshaft, it's amazing the car has gone 200 mph. I'm in the process of pulling the engine out of the chassis by weeks end.

Concerning the idea of switching to the BMW power platform, well its interesting but a fairly large step to make currently. The FEA analysis and CD were completed along with a four-wheel scaling. Let's just say not a lot of engineering thought went into component placement and this is on top of being too heavy at 1896 pounds without me. Average in my class 1200-1400 pounds.

Any of you familiar with Dano performance? They have several engine updated platforms for the RI including billet rods and pistons with in-house performance cams. Also, I reached out to Monster Tubos as they have some performance components available for the R1. I haven't thus far received dyno sheets. Moving to a newer Yamaha is diffidently a most especially for a turbo platform.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts