Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

Registered
'08 r1
Sorry to be the one to break this to you, but they'l be kicking our asses, all of us, no matter what you ride now,
in about 5 years time.
The electric motorcycle is the most lackluster appliance I have ever used. Is the performance there, sure, in spades, that's not the point though. They don't set my teeth on edge. I don't get that visceral tactile feeling and feedback. The roar or thousands of explosions hurtling me through time and space as my vision warps and my body experiences that heavy shock of the fight against the forces of nature as the machine bends the laws of physics to my will with a turn of my wrist. Man was never meant to experience such bliss. I feel blessed to have had the privilege.

If you don't get it, you never will. The electric motorcycle will never replace the liter bike.

Venom X/O
Batteries aren鈥檛 even close to capability of gas powered engines, especially due to weight. They have more than 5 years before they鈥檙e ready. Just look at the e-bike in motogp.

my guess is an alternate fuel will be more viable like hydrogen or something. Batteries are too damn heavy

Registered
The electric motorcycle is the most lackluster appliance I have ever used. Is the performance there, sure, in spades, that's not the point though. They don't set my teeth on edge. I don't get that visceral tactile feeling and feedback. The roar or thousands of explosions hurtling me through time and space as my vision warps and my body experiences that heavy shock of the fight against the forces of nature as the machine bends the laws of physics to my will with a turn of my wrist. Man was never meant to experience such bliss. I feel blessed to have had the privilege.

If you don't get it, you never will. The electric motorcycle will never replace the liter bike.
With current electronic processing technology, one could emulate, any gasoline powered sport bike, you've ridden, or desire, moroever, change that, with a mere menu gesture. A lot of very smart people are working very hard, on electrical energy storage, and it's evolving fast. If I've learned anything in my career as an Electronics Engineer, it's that the future will be here, before you can even grasp it.

Registered
'08 r1
Absolutely lackluster. As exciting as a toaster. All the personality of a snail.

'Can emulate any bike you've ever ridden'

No, no it can't. I really thought I'd done a good job trying to convey why one of those electric scooters can't provide you with the same experience as a combustion engine. I guess my closing sentiment applies though. If you don't get it...

Horsepower whisperer
2022 Yamaha YZF-R1 60th WGP Anniversary Edition
No soul, no transmission to play with, no clutch to milk to get the absolute best take off, and, no roar of explosions to blow your ear drums out.

Just twist and go...
Thanks for the lullaby.

Carnivore Fang Jaw Dog breed Felidae

Registered
Absolutely lackluster. As exciting as a toaster. All the personality of a snail.

'Can emulate any bike you've ever ridden'

No, no it can't. I really thought I'd done a good job trying to convey why one of those electric scooters can't provide you with the same experience as a combustion engine. I guess my closing sentiment applies though. If you don't get it...
I get it, you hate the intial crop of electric bikes. It's very early days, there Joe.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
For the last two weeks I started researching the great information this site has provided. Reaching out to the land speed community has been let's say interesting. I finally had an opportunity to drive the LS car last week. With the current gearing and the use of a jackshaft, it's amazing the car has gone 200 mph. I'm in the process of pulling the engine out of the chassis by weeks end.

Concerning the idea of switching to the BMW power platform, well its interesting but a fairly large step to make currently. The FEA analysis and CD were completed along with a four-wheel scaling. Let's just say not a lot of engineering thought went into component placement and this is on top of being too heavy at 1896 pounds without me. Average in my class 1200-1400 pounds.

Any of you familiar with Dano performance? They have several engine updated platforms for the RI including billet rods and pistons with in-house performance cams. Also, I reached out to Monster Tubos as they have some performance components available for the R1. I haven't thus far received dyno sheets. Moving to a newer Yamaha is diffidently a most especially for a turbo platform.

Venom X/O
For the last two weeks I started researching the great information this site has provided. Reaching out to the land speed community has been let's say interesting. I finally had an opportunity to drive the LS car last week. With the current gearing and the use of a jackshaft, it's amazing the car has gone 200 mph. I'm in the process of pulling the engine out of the chassis by weeks end.

Concerning the idea of switching to the BMW power platform, well its interesting but a fairly large step to make currently. The FEA analysis and CD were completed along with a four-wheel scaling. Let's just say not a lot of engineering thought went into component placement and this is on top of being too heavy at 1896 pounds without me. Average in my class 1200-1400 pounds.

Any of you familiar with Dano performance? They have several engine updated platforms for the RI including billet rods and pistons with in-house performance cams. Also, I reached out to Monster Tubos as they have some performance components available for the R1. I haven't thus far received dyno sheets. Moving to a newer Yamaha is diffidently a most especially for a turbo platform.
I would research more with Dano Performance.

let鈥檚 just say he isn鈥檛 building engines for top level racing teams throughout the country.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts