Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Just bought a 2001 r1. It has 20,000 on the clock. Seems to have been well looked after but it's sat in a garage for 2 years.
Got a new battery en route and plan is to strip and clean carbs... Flush the tank and then see how she runs.
Anything else you'd advise I check, and what should I know about these bikes? Common faults or good things to keep and eye on etc? Many thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
I’d also change the oil, and seeing as your already planing on stripping the carbs, you may as well Pop the rocker cover off check valve clearances and give the top of the head a fresh coat of oil for the start up

·
408 Posts
change front brake hose ! use oem hose. that hose save your life.

if u not going to take it apart, easy way to clean carbs is to drain all fuel from tank and carbs; next pour large container of carb cleaner into fuel tank and let sit in carbs over night. then drain carb cleaner and add fresh fuel.

valve lash check interval should be 27,000 miles

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's only done 20k. Halfway through stripping and cleaning carbs as we speak so will run her up and see how she goes. Thanks for heads up on brake lines... Literally just looked and seems someone has put good ridge braided lines on.
They'll do the job eh?

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting post as I am looking into a 03 R1 myself. I hope you like it so far, will post pics :)
So far it's brilliant. Rides really nice.
It might be a bit much for a road bike. I'm used to 600's and 750 where I have to pull the throttle all the way and change gear a lot. This bike only needs first and third and barely touch the throttle to do everything haha.
Easy to work on as well. I'm pretty happy. Only had one issue so far where a sensor failed but swapped it out (thanks to a fault code on the rev counter... Very helpful)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts