Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Jeckle
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here is the Rocket Scientist move of the year.

Was rushing to do an oil change tonight, went through the normal process, took my brand spankin new torque wrench out if the package, went to wrap it up and tighten up the old plug screw, after about a half a second I new something was wrong :scared ,,,,,,,,,,,,, well let's just say I just finished ordering my OEM parts,,,,,,, I STRIPPED THE DAMN THING IN ONE SMOOTH MOVE :nforc: :saw: :dundun: :crash :hammer: :banghead:

Talk about pissed off:flush: Tomorrow the manager at the store is going to be trying to figure out how to remove the damn thing from his ass:rant

·
Super Moderator
11,885 Posts
Well, here is the Rocket Scientist move of the year.

Was rushing to do an oil change tonight, went through the normal process, took my brand spankin new torque wrench out if the package, went to wrap it up and tighten up the old plug screw, after about a half a second I new something was wrong :scared ,,,,,,,,,,,,, well let's just say I just finished ordering my OEM parts,,,,,,, I STRIPPED THE DAMN THING IN ONE SMOOTH MOVE :nforc: :saw: :dundun: :crash :hammer: :banghead:

Talk about pissed off:flush: Tomorrow the manager at the store is going to be trying to figure out how to remove the damn thing from his ass:rant
Get the quick oil change kit and you won't have to worry about that again.
I always did my oil plug finger tight then 1/4 turn before I got my oil plug kit. Never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
funny you should say that i did a oil change yesterday and the thread from the sump came out as i undid the bolt , just debating whether to heli coil it or order new part , prolly go with new sump

·
Jeckle
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
funny you should say that i did a oil change yesterday and the thread from the sump came out as i undid the bolt , just debating whether to heli coil it or order new part , prolly go with new sump
Yeah, before I ordered the new sump I called my buddy who is a mechanic, he said order the part. In time shavings will make into places that could cause serious damage. I got my stuff from Central Yamaha, just follow this link and you'll be good to go.

http://www.centralyamaha.com/fiche_select.asp

·
Jeckle
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TBH I think the specified torque for the sump plug is a bit excessive. One of the only bolts I do by hand.
Yeah, I agree. The spec on the torque was 31.5 ft.lbs. I believe, my buddy said the max should be 17:scared

·
Registered
60 Posts
i didnt bother getting helicoil done just ordered new sump and gaskets/o rings and exaust gaskets . cost 120 pound for all the bits saves ever having to worry about it leaking

·
Jeckle
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i didnt bother getting helicoil done just ordered new sump and gaskets/o rings and exaust gaskets . cost 120 pound for all the bits saves ever having to worry about it leaking
Yeah, when I saw the prices I figured better safe then sorry.

·
Jeckle
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There might be nothing wrong with the torque wrench.:scared
thought about that too, the 31.5 is a joke and definitly didn't help but I tested the wrench on another bolt to see if the break over was accurate and it wasn't. Either way I would have stripped it, next time I use my own judgement:crash

·
Yamahammer
288 Posts
Bolt torque is an indirect measure of bolt tension and ultimately clamping force. A change in materials, presence or absence of a washer, type of lubrication used (if any) and especially cleanliness will drastically change torque requirements. For example, adding copper based never-seize requires a correction factor of 0.55. Ever adjust torque values? You should, especially when oil is present.

A ?calibrated arm? is good for +/- 35% and a torque wrench only good for +/- 25%. Add a little rust or lube, a different washer and the torque value shown on your torque wrench has little to do with the desired clamping force that the torque spec was calculated to attain.

Ignore everything else and a $5 pawn shop torque wrench is no better or worse than a high dollar electronic Snap-on torque wrench.

In the future, either don?t bother with a torque wrench or adjust the torque value down. I just tighten that bolt by hand and use safety wire to secure it.

·
Super Moderator
21,722 Posts
Live and learn. Next time you know what to do.

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
never use TQ wrench on stuff like that.. alway by hand.. even doing valves and taking cams out.. i dont use TQ wrench.. snapped too many bolts off.. even at like 7 in lbs on some bolts... just cant do it.. dont feel bad.. happens.. but dont think ur TQ wrench is too blame.. its prolly spot on.. just book is too high for that bolt.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.