Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Need... More... Trackdays
887 Posts
thats teh reason they give you a restricted permit to start out right there. i guess riding slow for a few months was too hard for him.

and they say kids like me are stupid...

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
gixxerkilleR1 said:
thats teh reason they give you a restricted permit to start out right there. i guess riding slow for a few months was too hard for him.

and they say kids like me are stupid...
But they are aren't they???:crash

·
I am Evil Homer
1,628 Posts
I feel sorry for that guy, he probably wanted a motorcycle all his life and finally could afford one, or he had some 125 beater as a kid and could finally afford another one, and on his first ride he buys it.

This guy came into our shop about six months before the 03 Gix1k's came out, and he wanted one bad. We didn't have any so he went off and bought a 929. Turns out he always wanted a sportbike and never bought one, when he got diagnosed with cancer, and decided it was now or never. Well he rode it for a few months and had a hell of a turn around. Came back and traded the 929 for an 03 gix1k and as far as I know he's still going strong.

·
Redlinin'
1,420 Posts
I hate to hear that someone died riding, but I'd be willing to bet that his "non-DOT approved" helmet was the teeny skull-cap alot of the cruiser guys ride, with absolutely no face protection.

I wish that those people would realize that those things provide no protection at all. That old dude would probably still be alive if he had worn a proper helmet.

:(

Sorry to hear it.

·
GO CHIEFS!!!
6,870 Posts
Not very smart... Custom bike as 1st, crappy helmet, riding on the freeway w/ no experience....

BUT, I feel for the guy and his family... May he RIP...

- BA

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
LaCasta said:
Have some compassion, it could just as easily be you
No. And here is why.
1. Custom bike=someone who obviously had a nice amount of money sitting around. They don't give out loans for custom bikes. You buy them with other types of loans, or you pay cash.

2. Non-DOT approved helmet = Someone who obviously either did not think about or investigate any part of motorcycles and safety gear, or someone who said "i'm not gonna wreck so i don't need one. I'll wear the minimum I can get away with"

3. He got his permit TUESDAY! = He was obviously a very naturally gifted rider who did not need to spend any time getting to know the bike he was riding or the nuances of controlling it, or how to ride it in traffic. :no

4. He struck a concrete barrier on the right hand side of the road = of course he did this because he was avoiding something, and didn't have any problems with his vast experience with a little thing called target fixation. Also maybe he avoided everything iin the shoulder area as well.

5. HE WAS DRIVING ON AN INTERSTATE HIGHWAY TWO DAYS AFTER GETTING HIS PERMIT!!!!

6. He was prohibited from driving on the freeway, he knew it but did it anyway. Would you have the same response if he was an experienced rider doing a stan-up wheelie down the freeway and fell? I think not, yet both are equally stupid to me.

7. He was riding on an Interstate highway in the middle of the afternoon on a Thursday. Not exactly the slow time of the day to ride there.

8. He's 63 and got his first bike, (i know it's an assumption, but nt a far fetched one to me) and he decide to buy something that was probably WAAAAAYYYYYYYY more than he should have bought. We warn kids not to buy R1's all the time, for this very same reason, Learn to ride on something you can handle. If you don't know your limits, be prepared to crash. ie. wear gear to protect your dumb ass.

so again, no compassion, yes i feel bad he died, but no i don't think my statement was out of line.

·
Super Moderator
21,675 Posts
I feel sad for the guy. Maybe it was a custom Gold Wing or
something. I wish he would have done some riding on the back
roads. After I took my MSF I didn't even go near a busy road for
several weeks. Just backroads for me until I felt secure.

·
L8R2U
21,459 Posts
:( R.I.P. :(

·
Tap dat...
14,410 Posts
This dude --> RIP :(

R1Budha --> :bow Amen to that too. Don't like seeing people's mistakes kill them but arrogance gets no one anywhere.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
You "ASSUMED" all that. For all you nor I know he could of had a heart attack, could have been mechanical, could have been oil on the road,could have been cut off. "He has a custom bike, so he must be rich". Sometimes people do save money to buy nice things. What more should I assume? Yes he didn't have a "proper helmet" and a restricted Lic. But to assume why he died and what really happened isn't cool,let the man R.I.P.

·
theoretical astrophysicist
359 Posts
Skeeter said:
I feel sad for the guy. Maybe it was a custom Gold Wing or
something. I wish he would have done some riding on the back
roads. After I took my MSF I didn't even go near a busy road for
several weeks. Just backroads for me until I felt secure.
I did the same thing...Where I used to live it was on the edge of town in the foothills. After taking the class I rode up there for hours upon hours even getting lost. The neighbors were pretty pissed (old muzzy can that needs repacking) but when I ventured out on the real streets I felt a helluva more secure. You gotta get comfortable with the bike the clutch the weight everything...Don't get me wrong it sucks when any rider dies riding but this man was obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed..A tool maybe but not sharp...

·
YZF-R1 Yamaha
291 Posts
Lestat77 said:
You "ASSUMED" all that. For all you nor I know he could of had a heart attack, could have been mechanical, could have been oil on the road,could have been cut off. "He has a custom bike, so he must be rich". Sometimes people do save money to buy nice things. What more should I assume? Yes he didn't have a "proper helmet" and a restricted Lic. But to assume why he died and what really happened isn't cool,let the man R.I.P.
:iamwithst

Budha...let the guy RIP. You know it could happen to any one at any time...Just think if you were killed, would you like some dick on a forum criticizing you...flaming the guy is not going to do anything.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts