Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Newbie here! First bike an R1

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Suckuhhballbag 
#1 ·
Hey guys/ dare I say gals? I’m Joey from the east coast of the USA! 2020 has been a shit show and a year unlike any other. Despite that all, I picked up my first motorcycle a few months ago in December. 2005 Yamaha R1. Wanted an ‘09-12 model sooo bad but I settled for the 05 as I’m saving up for a BMW 335i twin turbo.

Anyway I’ve been around here and Reddit and the general world long enough to know about the old drama filled debate of getting an asphalt killer R1 as a first bike even with little dirt bike experience nothing more for me. I know my limits and have owned boosted cars of the 400whp range but as we all know it’s a bike comparable to a jet pack. I have pretty much mastered this bike and I’m lucky to not have any close calls. I still respect it every time I climb on. Thanks In advance for all the advice and knowledge I’m sure to gain from being here!

/Joey

See less See more
#5 ·
Not trying to be disrespectful, but if you have managed to ”master” an R1 in 6 months total of riding, you are obviously an extremely gifted individual. I personally have had my 08 for nearly 2 years, and have been riding my whole life, having several different bikes over the time, and I wouldn’t say I’ve mastered shit

#6 ·
I have pretty much mastered this bike and I’m lucky to not have any close calls. I still respect it every time I climb on. Thanks In advance for all the advice and knowledge I’m sure to gain from being here!

/Joe
Joe, there's always more to learn about anything that we do. Regarding motorcycles and riding one, it's hard for me to believe that you have "mastered" this bike in any form. Who knows though, I may be wrong and you may be a master R1 mechanic: knowing how to work on every aspect of your bike. Have you mastered riding it on the track? If so, can you tell us more.

Thanks

#8 ·
You guys are right, I definitely chose the wrong word there and I didn’t mean to come off arrogant at all. What I meant to get out was I feel like I came a long way as far as all my basic fundamentals, safety, and proper techniques. Even taught my myself how to wheelie I’m just a few weeks. “Mastering” was absolutely the wrong word as I’m sure there are a bunch of better riders than me who truly haven’t even got to that level. My apologies if I offended anyone! In all honesty I still have a ways to go and someone was right when they said there’s something to learn everytime/day you get on your bike. I am glad to admit to this.

#12 ·
Thanks guys... definitely enjoying the ride. Haven’t drove my car in almost two weeks and counting lmao. East coast US summertime weather has been on point plus I absolutely love those crisp night time rides back home after work. Hope everyone is being safe and staying Corona-Free. Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.