1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Im new to the R1 & will be picking my 99 model with 20k on the clock
up around the end of Nov/early Dec.

I have a couple of questions that i hope you can help me with!

Firstly its a blue model with orange wheels.Are these standard or
would you think they have been taken from another model or repainted?

Anything i should be aware of with this kind of mileage or could any
nastys be ready to empty my wallet in the near future?

She runs fine,accelerates clean & apart from carbon indicators appears
to be completly standard.

Any advice would be appreciated ;)

·
Has anyone seen my ratchet?
25,747 Posts
The orange wheels were repainted, as this was not a stock feature. As far what she needs with that typw of mileage, a valve clearance check / adjustment is in order, although they are rarely out of spec, I believe your bike calls for it at 24k miles.

·
Super Moderator
21,722 Posts
The orange wheels were repainted, as this was not a stock feature. As far what she needs with that typw of mileage, a valve clearance check / adjustment is in order, although they are rarely out of spec, I believe your bike calls for it at 24k miles.

:iamwithst Congrats on the bike and welcome to the forum. I would have the fork oil and seals replaced if it hasn't already been done.

·
Forum Moderator
32,430 Posts
Congrats on the bike.... welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys & thanks for the replies.

I thought the wheels had been painted as i didnt see
any others with orange wheels in my search for one.

I will have a good look at the service record when its
available & see what has or hasnt been done & let you
know.

Thanks again.

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
i'm dizzy after looking at your sig pic!:ncont::eek::ncont::eek:

·
My Mac eats your PC
156 Posts
Welcome to the forum! When you get that beast home just be sure to go over it with a fine tooth comb. Check all fluids, brakes, lubricate cables, turn every bolt...pre-race prep stuff. Most of all be careful!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to the forum! Most of all be careful!
Thanks bud & some sound advise there!

Ive been on early Gixxers most of my life so the R1 experience is new
to me.

Im looking forward to getting some miles under me belt & enjoying
myself & if the test ride is anything to go by,she wont let me down :)

·
Don't settle for 2nd
416 Posts
The 99 blue R1 came with black wheels so the orange is either painted or they are after market. Also with a bike with that amount of miles, which is not a lot for the year, I would check the bearings in the head and wheels. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

·
Say cheese!
249 Posts
The 99 blue R1 came with black wheels so the orange is either painted or they are after market. Also with a bike with that amount of miles, which is not a lot for the year, I would check the bearings in the head and wheels. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Wrong, the 99 blue came with gun metal rims. The 2000 came with black rims. Either way, they've been painted to orange. 20K miles for a 99 is not bad at all. If it's been taken decent care of, it should run like a champ.

·
R1's there a bit of an animal!
1 Posts
well ol boy i shall dispence a little gem of advice to you and then hopefully you will not need to rebuild the top half of your engine like me!

i also have a 99 r1 with 23000 on the clock everything was sweet for the first 3000 miles i put on it and then disaster the piggin cam chain tensioner failed.. hence the expensive rebuild..

so i would reccomend getting a new one, they cost around ?60.00 in the uk sorry don't know what the exchange rate is for usa. but this is worthwhile doing..

enjoy yer r1 they are nearly better than :lhumper:

·
Shake'n Bake Meth, WTF???
462 Posts
'99's rock. They have an awesome mid-range. You might want to check the chain and sprockets, at 20k they're probablly due for replacement. Enjoy.:thumbup

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
Perhaps you USA guys have different names for some colours. I always thought that blue R1's '(98 -'99) had silver wheels and the red had black.

Sorry its so small but heres a picture i found of a '99 Blue
all 98-99s had silver wheels, everywhere in the world! fact!:fact:yesnod

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.