Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, first off I just want to say Hi. My name is Paul and I just bought a black 2004 R1 with 2,050 miles. I am looking to do some routine mait to it because it has one small problem. It will sputter real bad when I pull out and when the rpms are below 4K, right when the rpms get to 4K it is like a switch is flipped and it runs smooth and has great power.
Now, the battery was weak for one, I am replacing that today or tomorrow, and the gas is old. So I will run that out I guess. I am also looking at doing an oil change (what oil and filter do you all suggest and what is the crankcase capacity) and possbily an air filter as well. This bike did sit, so I am just trying to figure out where my money would be best spent. Any input would be great! Even though it is cold out I wouldn't mind ripping around on my new bike:)

It is stock except for a power commander which "hasn't been messed with"

Thank,

Paul

·
Have you killed a cat today ?
9,925 Posts
:thumbup

Welcome to the forum !!! There is alot you will learn here.

About your questions, regarding what oil I'll recommend the search button (your new best friend today) I do not know that specific model. We run the Euro Yamaha's here.

You have to start troubleshooting. The low end huffing and puffing could be dirt in the tank (you said it stood for while) take it off, and get some clean fuel.

Oil and air filter you can buy stock, do the mods after you got her running wildly. Don't spend too much money now on fancy filtlers and plugs. Invest in good oil though (search your spec bike)

The power commander could also cause your hickups on the lower rpms, it sounds like a fuel problem, but could be anything. Start with the basics and work your way up, it's cheaper that way. I am not familiar on the power commander but I know a wrong setup can cause mayhem in your fuel management system.

I am sure someone else will get you the info that you need.

Last thing, the R1 is a beast, the throttle is your best friend, or your greatest enemey, respect it :fork

:rock Ride Safe :boobies

·
Registered
17 Posts
power commander needs to be hooked up to a pc with the software to see which map is installed first,then you can start trouble shooting elsewhere..do the commander first...might be set up incorrectly..if you are still stock,then the appropriate map must be installed.2k miles isnt much,air filter should still be new.run some 110 octane fuel and see what happens after pc reprogram.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.