Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
R1's own
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I'm new here, but I'll become a regular I think!

My name is Kevin and I'm an R1-aholic! I have worked in the bike biz for the last ten years and I have a pro roadracing licence ( sometimes I wonder how I ever got it! lol).

In 99 I got the opportunity to purchase a wrecked R1 off of one of the guys who worked at the shop. He had purchased the bike 1 month earlier for his FIRST BIKE. When he picked it up I thought to myself:

"Hmm... He should crash that in about two weeks! Looks like I'm getting a new race bike!"

Well, it only took 2 weeks longer than I thought, I got the call that he had crashed and was OK. The bike however was pretty mashed. I ended up getting it REALLY cheap because the insurance company thought the crank was bent. As it turned out, the flywheel was cocked up on the shaft and all it needed was a new alternator cover to get it running. I eventually rehabilitated the whole bike and finally got it painted this year. She was beautiful... notice I said 'was'...

I got home Sunday night and she was not in her spot out front. I went inside and checked my messages and I had two calls from the Police. They had found my baby torn to pieces in the back of a stolen van, all that was left was broken bodywork, a frame , swingarm and motor.
Stripped.
I didn't think it was possible to get that emotional about a bike but I seriously almost cried. I had put SO MUCH TIME money and effort into that bike, and some jackasses tore it all apart in one night. boo hoo!

Anyway, the good news is I had insurance. 2002 here I come! The bad news is my insurance company will drop me pretty soon after this one. Second bike stolen in 4 years.

Anyway, sorry I rambled! I look forward to participating in this forum... -Kevie

·
988 Of 1000 !!
988 Posts
Welcome Kevie :) Lookin forward to the riding tips !!

·
Registered
447 Posts
First off...:D Welcome:D . Secondly...That sucks about your bike getting stolen. Thirdly...That's exellent you are getting a new 2002. Things always seem to work out for the best. Post some pics when you get them.

·
no refunds allowed
79 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss... I'm new too :D

I don't belive insurance companies can drop you or even raise rates on you because of a theft.. :confused:

·
Registered
777 Posts
kevie88 said:

In 99 I got the opportunity to purchase a wrecked R1 off of one of the guys who worked at the shop. He had purchased the bike 1 month earlier for his FIRST BIKE. When he picked it up I thought to myself:

"Hmm... He should crash that in about two weeks! Looks like I'm getting a new race bike!"

Well, it only took 2 weeks longer than I thought, I got the call that he had crashed and was OK.
R1 for first bike!!! Lucky he didn't kill himself. When I bought mine the salesguy told me that they had a guy in a couple of weeks earlier that didn't even make it out of the driveway! The idiot revved and pooped the clutch and the front wheel came up and over! What I would have paid to see that!

The salesguy told me that he asked the guy (while he was still on the ground) if he wanted to book an appointment with the mechanic and order the necessary body parts! :)

Another guy wiped out right in front of the shop with his brand new R6. His tires still had that coating on them that they have when new - and he cracked the throttle to hard in mid turn and the bike went down.

One mans loss is another mans gain!

Welcome aboard - the more the merrier

BS

·
R1's own
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Blue Streak said:

Another guy wiped out right in front of the shop with his brand new R6. His tires still had that coating on them that they have when new - and he cracked the throttle to hard in mid turn and the bike went down.

BS
That happened to my girlfriend on a brand new GSXR600 earlier this year. She was the first one to ride the bike out of the crate, and no one told her that tires are slippery when they are new.... to make a long story short, she highsided and busted her collarbone. ouch.

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
collarbone? Darn, I kind find the Swedish word for collarbone.. is it the one at your .. throat.. or .. waist.. or??? :)

Did she have to pay for the bike?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Man that has got to hurt. I'm glad I didn't go down yet. Everyone always says there are 2 kinds of people in this world, those that have been down and those that are going down.

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
Hey Swedie the collarbone is the one where the collar of a shirt would be and the sad part is you just have to live with it ,there is no real surgery for it at least not when I broke mine. LTDR1 that is right you are either on the way to a wreck or just got out of one:crash

1 - 11 of 11 Posts