Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, im a newbie and i want a R1 oh so bad. about my question. i just wanna ride, but i just wanna ride on a R1. i was told that i could get one as long as i am careful as hell til i get used to riding it, any truth to that? i come here b/c teh knuckleheads at cycleworld.com are @$$holes. any advice? i mean if the R1 is much to powerful then ill reconsider, but i heard its just as easy to handle as a light bike is ( like a kawasaki 500r), but just a bigger engine. am i talking out my ass or any truth to this? i luv the R1 though.....

·
988 Of 1000 !!
988 Posts
Hey I say if You want a R1 then get it !! Just don't over do it on the throttle thats all. The R1 is pretty light too, weighs in at about 384 lbs. :D

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
Dr_Evil: The thing is that it's not a good idea to get the R1 as a first bike. Of course. if you got a lot of self control. Then you could get an R1..

But I'd not get an R1 as my first bike. I had a Yamaha RD250 as first bike.. and even that bike I accidentaly slipped the clutch and got an insane wheelie.. if I'd have been on the R1 back then.. I'd be laying on my back and wondering what the hell went wrong.

Just be careful! Go TRY an R1.. but don't go buy it without having tried one...

Just me.. brainstorming at you hehe.

·
My insurance eats me...
245 Posts
Hey man, my first bike was an R1 and I would do it over again in a second. However, I did race in the dirt for four years and had ridden plenty of sportbikes before I got it. That's not a justification, but I've been on bikes, in one form or another, since I was 14 (I'm 23 now). But don't let squids on 600's tell you not to get one. They are just upset that they didn't have the huevos to step up to the plate when they had a chance. I'd go for it. Just don't be an idiot and you'll have nothing but fun.

·
Registered
447 Posts
If you are like me it doesn't matter what anyone says you will get it because you want it. I was riding for 7 years on the road and probably 4 prior to that in the dirt before getting my R1. The R1 is a beast, no one will dispute that. Is it to much power? Only if you abuse it. If you have respect for the bike it will have respect for you. If you smack it, it will smack you back! Many people told me to get a 600 for my first sport bike. There was no way I was going to ride a 600 for a year just to find out I wanted more power and wished I got the bad a$$ R1. So I went with the Big Daddy right off the bat. Like battle2a5 said, I would do it all over again. Just be smart and have respect for the machine you're about to embrace and you will be fine.

·
no refunds allowed
79 Posts
The only thing is that on a R1, small mistakes often lead to problems that some, not all, new riders can handle properly. If you do get one, for the love of God, be careful because R1's aren't forgiving bikes.

Also, take the MSF rider course, it could save your life.

·
I eat, therefore I am
63 Posts
Dude, you can have anything you can afford as a first bike. Doesn't make it the right choice. Get a cheap piece of junk for the first bike. Lay it down, beat it up, twist the throttle until you snap the handle bar. You'll be able to sell it for just as much as you paid in the first place and you'll have some experience. If you're really interested in riding a bike well, with confidence, not owning a status symbol, that'll make sense to you. Liter bikes have a butt load of power, a little slip up can put you down fast. Just take a look at all the salvage bikes for sale with a thousand or less miles on them.

The best riders typically start of on the dirt and then "graduate" to the street. It takes alot of attention to ride on the street. Add to that learning how to control a massivly powerful bike and you're asking for trouble no matter how careful you think you may be.

·
Registered
7 Posts
:eek: I've been rideing thirty year's and thats not a smart thing to do!

You only have one life and the game is over.

Get soom experience first !

You can look good alive or look bad dead your call. :eek: :rolleyes:

·
slowest rider ..rides in front
1,148 Posts
I am a first year rider and yes my first bike is a R1. :eek:

things to keep in mind:

1. don't ride in 1st gear

2. keep your hand on the clutch at all times

3. learn how to brake

4. always be 100% aware of your surroundings

5. respect the power and discipline yourself

6. ride within your limits .. even if that means going 20 mph

7. buy a pair of kevlar knuckle gloves, a jacket, and helmet .. if you can't afford to ride safely ..don't ride

It took me one week to learn to ride a motorcycle and get my license ... my R1 sat in my garage for 3 days because I was afraid to ride it (I didn't want to dump it).
On the 1 first day of riding I went out for 30 minutes riding only in first gear.. then on the second day shifted through all the gears ..going up to 40 mph .. the third day I took it up to 60 mph ... the following week I went and got my license .. the season is over in MN .. I have been very lucky considering all the close calls I've had...
my friends ride hard and that made me push hard to become a better rider ... they always advise me to ride within my skills .. besides they would always wait for the slowest rider...

At the beginning of the season I was very slow .. but as the season went on I slowly picked things up .. now I can comfortably go 155mph and have gone up to 175 mph ... hit the clover leafs at 50 mph ..considering I was doing 25-35 mph at the beginning .. the key is discipline and riding w/ people you know and respect the fact that you have limited skills as a first year rider...

always were your gear .. it's not the R1 that's going to kill ya' .. it's riding a motorcycle in general .. doesn't matter what bike you get .. just respect the bike ..

good luck ...
:D

·
Forum chick
345 Posts
solo said:
I am a first year rider and yes my first bike is a R1. :eek:

things to keep in mind:

1. don't ride in 1st gear

2. keep your hand on the clutch at all times

3. learn how to brake

4. always be 100% aware of your surroundings

5. respect the power and discipline yourself

6. ride within your limits .. even if that means going 20 mph

7. buy a pair of kevlar knuckle gloves, a jacket, and helmet .. if you can't afford to ride safely ..don't ride

It took me one week to learn to ride a motorcycle and get my license ... my R1 sat in my garage for 3 days because I was afraid to ride it (I didn't want to dump it).
On the 1 first day of riding I went out for 30 minutes riding only in first gear.. then on the second day shifted through all the gears ..going up to 40 mph .. the third day I took it up to 60 mph ... the following week I went and got my license .. the season is over in MN .. I have been very lucky considering all the close calls I've had...
my friends ride hard and that made me push hard to become a better rider ... they always advise me to ride within my skills .. besides they would always wait for the slowest rider...

At the beginning of the season I was very slow .. but as the season went on I slowly picked things up .. now I can comfortably go 155mph and have gone up to 175 mph ... hit the clover leafs at 50 mph ..considering I was doing 25-35 mph at the beginning .. the key is discipline and riding w/ people you know and respect the fact that you have limited skills as a first year rider...

always were your gear .. it's not the R1 that's going to kill ya' .. it's riding a motorcycle in general .. doesn't matter what bike you get .. just respect the bike ..

good luck ...
:D
solo.... I am going to be buying a 2001 R-1 in the beginning of the year, although I have ridden before and am not new to riding. BUT... on an R-1, yes, I will be. I wanted to tell you that your advice was so well put and so intelligent that I wanted to quote it and say thanks. :D Because I WILL take the advice and recommendations you have written you use them for myself.
By the way.... welcome to the forum! :p

·
1,148 Posts
Thank you forum chick :D .. good luck w/ your R1

I know you'll enjoy your R1 .. every time I ride my R1 I feel like a kid all over again .. it always put a :) on my face .. by next year you'll be the :cool: gal on a R1 ... we can ride together anytime;)

·
Forum chick
345 Posts
Thanks, solo. I know I'll enjoy owning one AND riding it. You come out to Kentucky and we can go riding. :D That would be fun! When I get my bike I think Minnesota will still be in a deep freeze! :p
Are you still riding now? What are the temps out there like?

·
A Proud Daddy of Twins
56 Posts
I am in the same boat....I like the R6 and the R1, but I am kinda concerned about growing out of my R6 after a short period of time....I like the R1, especially the '02 being that it is FI, but will it be too much for me...I am a newbie and have never ridden before....I am going to take the MSF course B4 I buy anything, so I will be well versed in safety....I am about 5'10", 200lbs....should I consider the R1?:(

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
Are you not too hard on the throttle I think you can go with the R1. It's got everything powerwise.. and handling! I'd say GO for it!

Welcome to that Forum BTW :makeout

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
Oh.. G.. I re-read your post again.. and from what I understood you've had absolutely NO experience at all with motorcycles..

then I can recomend you to take that MSF course FIRST.. and THEN .. looking for bikes.

And since you're a real Beginner.. I wouldn't even recommend the R6. That bike is VERY powerful too!

I'd say go buy a 250.. or 400'.. or the EX500.. just as starters bike and to get to know the bike.. and.. bikes in general which has 2 wheels and a motor!

I take it back! I seriously don't want you to buy the R1 knowing you have absolutely Zero experience.

I'm only thinking about your best! The R1 can kill you in a heart beat.. or blip on the throttle. It's very powerful!

·
1,148 Posts
Kathleen said:
Thanks, solo. I know I'll enjoy owning one AND riding it. You come out to Kentucky and we can go riding. :D That would be fun! When I get my bike I think Minnesota will still be in a deep freeze! :p
Are you still riding now? What are the temps out there like?
Yes I am still riding. This week has been nice .. temp. are around 60's.. :D .. the weather won't last long though .. by next week we'll be seeing snow :mad: ...

I'll give ya' a ring when I head down south ... maybe for the winter ;) ... later

·
It's finally time
59 Posts
I haven't rode for almost 5 years now, but have experience, and I'm afraid of the R1. I rode an R6 this past summer and was amazed at the power this "little 600" had. I want an R1 pretty bad myself but I don't know if I have the self control to not kill myself on it. For all of you newbies to riding that have to have an R1 - PLEASE be very careful.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts