Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Almost an R1 Owner...
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I'm new to this forum but not new to bikes. I was wondering what you all would choose. I know that the 07 and 08 are essentially the same bikes but different paint schemes and possibly an ECU issue? If money wasn't an issue...would you:

a. buy a new 08
b. buy a new 07
c. buy a used 07

I would like to know the reasons for choosing your choice. I'm unsure and I hope i don't get flamed for asking such a lame questions but i needed opinions from those who have experience with the 07 08 bikes.

Thanks in advance.

·
Candy Freakin Red
1,429 Posts
I would get a lightly used 07 if the deal was right. It's no problem replacing ECU anymore.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
being that money is no issue get the 08 hopefully they fixed all the problems they encountered with the 07 :thumbup

·
If all else fails, just ride
172 Posts
its really easy if money isnt an issue for you

get the 08...the raven 08 looks fantastic and plus you have an 08!

but if money was a little tight get a left over 07 because you can get one now for 10k out the door after everything! plus the lag issue is sooo easily fixed now...takes about 1 week and two visits to a yamaha shop.

i wouldnt bother getting a used bike ever...but thats just me..i cant stand buying something that someone else has ridden. i prefer to break in my own vehicles.

·
Have you killed a cat today ?
9,925 Posts
:thumbup

All the above advice is good. What is your location ? The lag ECU issue is not a problem on the Euro model, only in the US but like they said it's easily fixed in anyway.

Did the 08 launch yet where you are ? cause her it lands only in March.

If money is a bit of a problem, go for a used late 2007, if you want a new bike but money is a problem buy the 07 left overs new. I also debated must I wait for the 08 or not so I decided to buy the 07 as soon as I heard there is no mechanical changes, and I did'nt like the design.

So end of the day, the choice is logic, but buy what you can afford and that is most practical. The 07 and 08 is the exact same machine, why pay more ?

As long as it says R1 and it's never been dropped buy it :rock

:fork Ride safe and respect that throttle :crash

·
fast
3,614 Posts

All the above advice is good. What is your location ? The lag ECU issue is not a problem on the Euro model, only in the US but like they said it's easily fixed in anyway.

Did the 08 launch yet where you are ? cause her it lands only in March.

If money is a bit of a problem, go for a used late 2007, if you want a new bike but money is a problem buy the 07 left overs new. I also debated must I wait for the 08 or not so I decided to buy the 07 as soon as I heard there is no mechanical changes, and I did'nt like the design.

So end of the day, the choice is logic, but buy what you can afford and that is most practical. The 07 and 08 is the exact same machine, why pay more ?

As long as it says R1 and it's never been dropped buy it :rock

:fork Ride safe and respect that throttle :crash
mechanically same , yess......
but physically same, nooo....
i assume u are in same with my area too, got Euro version....
08 blue has gold colour rims, different stripping.....very nice colour combo....

its kinda very hard for us to get 08 for now, since present time still 07 year....but i will keep trying in full effort, even i have to add money.....
i have put down the down payment to my bike importer at october 07, now is december, almost 2 months, no happy news about my 08 R1...my importer always said "be patient man....your bike still sailing at the sea going to your country..."".... :whtfu: :whtfu: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
the only good news is coming from my importer is last week, when he said he has in his hand, the VIN number of my 08 R1, and he send the VIN number via SMS to me....
damn....have pay a lot money and wait for 2 months, and only get the VIN number...no bike at all.....hahaha...look like i still have patient limit for now, and im still will wait for my :fork .....

to the thread starter, get the 08 man.....u wont regret even the bike is same...

·
9,925 Posts

That sucks to wait tow months but it's worth it - the reward :rock

I had a long debate with myself about the 07 vs 08 ... because it was mechanically the same I went for the 07.

I'm quite curious to see what comes out in 09 ? maybe we'll get a couple of surprises, then I can make my 07 a track bike.

:fork enjoy your toy :jump

·
9,925 Posts
:boobies
here it is the 08 R1 in blue....:sneaky :sneaky :sneaky
:boobies

Yup she is a looker, just a shame it lands so late here. I still like the 07 Graphics but those gold rims with the blue :rock

Let's see what comes out in 09 :fork

·
If all else fails, just ride
172 Posts
here it is the 08 R1 in blue....:sneaky :sneaky :sneaky
thats the 08 in europe correct? because i just went to a dealership last week with my buddy (he bought a gixxer 1000) and i saw the new 08s...they all look beautiful...especially the raven...the red is not bad in person...

but the blue doesnt look like the picture..

·
fast
3,614 Posts
thats the 08 in europe correct? because i just went to a dealership last week with my buddy (he bought a gixxer 1000) and i saw the new 08s...they all look beautiful...especially the raven...the red is not bad in person...

but the blue doesnt look like the picture..
yes...thats an 08 R1 euro version...different with 08 R1 US....
here we have the black raven too and also the white red....
all of them is killer colour..but for yamaha i prefer the blue one...:fork

·
Super Moderator
21,722 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I would look for a left over '07 for a better deal.

·
Almost an R1 Owner...
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All, thanks for your replies. I ended up finding a good deal, let me get your opinions on this one:

I am thinking and probably will get a 2007 Red R1 with 1000 miles on it along with 3 helmets and 3 jackets that i'm gonna sell for $8400. Never dropped, no scratches.

I'm gonna go check it out this weekend. Any objections please let me know. I trust your judgement here with so many fine people on this board. BTW, i'm in southern california, if that changes any of your opinions.

Thanks.

·
Forum Moderator
32,430 Posts
Good luck with your purchase and welcome to the board.

·
Go in deeper come out faster
6,403 Posts
Welcome aboard and get an 08!!!

·
Attaining Pliability
276 Posts
Is it just me, or do all the 08 colors look boring?

OK the black looks ok from about 10 feel away, but its still lacking something. The raven is the best black, the silver is way sexy and the new R6 has an awesome yellow/black combo.

BTW get an 08, one year newer=better resale.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts