Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2021 Yamaha YZF-R1
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im gonna try to make this short.
So I've been riding now for about 8 months and maybe 5k miles, wrenched on alot of cars but no idea about bikes. I went for a night ride and was fortunate enough to run over an exploded bottle of raw motor oil and took a spill. Bike has Minor scuffs, rode it to work the next day and It runs fine. Check today and there's a leak, the issue is idk what im looking at (I think its the strator?). I can't find any sites to learn about the basic engine components at a beginner level, everything is blown up diagrams and I can't do research if I don't even know wtf the shit is called or anything else.
Some minor help would be appreciated or maybe some links that I could learn the engines basic component locations and names, then I could learn their purpose.
Thanks

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Grille
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive design
Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Alloy wheel
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Fluid
Wood Road surface Yellow Asphalt Rolling

Water Wood Road surface Asphalt Tar

Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Tire Wheel

· Registered
2012 Yamaha R1
23 Posts
First of all, hope you're ok. And second, the left side engine cover is the stator cover. The right side cover is the clutch cover. You got lucky that someone installed a GB Racing engine cover, because the damage could've been worse. From the looks of it you didn't go down very fast? There doesn't seem to be any structural damage, just cosmetic. I would say clean up the the stator cover and surrounding area and run the bike and check for leaks. But you will either have to run the GB Racing cover, or get some shorter bolts in place of the GB Racing bolts to not run the cover. (GB Racing cover requires longer bolts.) As of right now it's tough to determine where the oil is coming from. It could the be crank bolt cover o-ring leaking, the stator cover gasket leaking. Not really sure until you clean things up.

· Registered
2021 Yamaha YZF-R1
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey I appreciate the concern, luckily I was coming to a yield at a round-about at like 20mph and the fact that I was geared up for my lil 2 wheel therapy sesh. Yeah I just bought the GB covers a few months ago so they proved to be worth the $250 spent. After that though I coughed up the $700 and bought impaktech crash bars, got a sweet blackfriday deal. Fuckin bike is 18k after all so... protect the investment.
I think you might have fixed my issue. After the fall I parked the bike and went to bed, the next day I gave it a good look and there was no leaks so I rode to work but before I left I removed the cover cause it was cracked in a few pieces. The bolts on the case have two sets, the hex heads that held the cover (extended) and the torx heads on the actual strator case, I assumed the torxs were the structural ones and it wouldn't impact the seal integrity if I remove the others but apparently not cause theres the leak. It didn't dawn on me that they might be the culprit cause those bolts were in no way tight at all.
I'll reinstall the cover, clean it up, top off the oil and give it a test run/sit to see how it goes. Also I can safely assume that IS oil leaking?, and not by some odd chance a split reservoir of fuckin.. blinker fluid right. Lol.
Thank u for the engagement, help me get some ideas n look at some possibilities, very much appreciated. Keep u posted🤙🏼

· Registered
342 Posts
First of all, hope you're ok. And second, the left side engine cover is the stator cover. The right side cover is the clutch cover. You got lucky that someone installed a GB Racing engine cover, because the damage could've been worse. From the looks of it you didn't go down very fast? There doesn't seem to be any structural damage, just cosmetic. I would say clean up the the stator cover and surrounding area and run the bike and check for leaks. But you will either have to run the GB Racing cover, or get some shorter bolts in place of the GB Racing bolts to not run the cover. (GB Racing cover requires longer bolts.) As of right now it's tough to determine where the oil is coming from. It could the be crank bolt cover o-ring leaking, the stator cover gasket leaking. Not really sure until you clean things up.
I concur, It looks like damaged gaskets.

· Premium Member
2012 YZF - R1
114 Posts
Those covers are notorious for hairline fractures; almost invisible to the naked eye. You can fix it with some Q-bond in a financial emergency, then sand it down and paint it.

Check out yamahapartshouse.com they have exposed views of everything and fairly easy to navigate for a inexperienced mechanic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts