Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Ya whatever, save it
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK.... so I'm wanting to get rid of the stock ignition set up ( weight ) and just run the " kill " switch for on / off. I'm going to leave the starter on the bike if I can but I may opt for a racing killl switch which would not have a starter button. Yes then I'd have to bump start the bike.... no big deal ( at least that's what I'm thinking ) or I could figure out a starter button somewhere on the bike.

Question/s is/are.... before I start just diving in and cutting wires that don't look needed. Has anyone here done this to their track / race bike ?

I know I could just get the racing wire harness but I'd rather spend that dough somewhere else.

Just comtemplating at this point but any constructive input would be appreciated

· Ya whatever, save it
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hate electrical so that just sounds easier than it should be. I'll have to stare at the wiring diagrams for hours for them to make sense !!

· WSMC #520
1,769 Posts
It is easy, bikes basically have two on/off switches. One is just a security lock with a key. Just find the hot and neutral from your ignition switch and run them to your on/off switch. I'd have to look at the diagram, but you might have to keep the wires that already on your on/off switch as well, or you might not. Like I said I'd have to look at it. You could do the old trial and error, wouldn't be that hard either.

· Ya whatever, save it
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:boobies From now on you can help me with electrical and I'll help you spend money on cool shit that works for your bike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.