Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Bring it.
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my R1 about a month ago and it has been in the shop for 9 days now. I took it in to get the oil leak checked and found out that I had a TWO cracks in the engine block. Man that sux. The dealer said It could be as long as two months before YAMAHA sends out the block, but will more then likely it will be here at the end of may. I think this is B.S. I dropped $10,000 on it and am paying $200.00 a month and the damn thing is in the shop. Does anybody know of a way i can get faster parts or maybe a new bike all together? If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

· Yes, It's true, blue is faster
8,161 Posts
Whats the Lemon Law like in Mizzou?

· Bring it.
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey jkd. I didn't do it. It has two hairline cracks on the block. They are on the # 3 and #4 cylinders. When you rode and shut it off, put it on the kickstand it would leak a little oil from the top of the motor. It only had 40 miles on when i first noticed it. i called the dealer and he said it might be residual oil and to keep riding it. If it kept doing it to call him back. I rode for about 150 miles hoping it would stop but it never did. Only one crack is causing the problem, It's by a main oil sending "line"( or something like that) in the block. It kinda looks like a water cooling jacket or sleeve. I guess thats why it would only leak when it was stopped and leaning over. When it was running it had enough pressure to keep it where it was supposed to be. When it was parked it would leak from the right side of the motor and run down the top of the engine and down the left side.

· Turd Ferguson
682 Posts
I worked in the service shop at a Yamaha dealership for some time. We'd see issues like this once in a great while, usually with an ATV or watercraft.

Ratchet255, take your issue straight to the Yamaha District Customer Rep. There's a number in the owner's manual to contact Yamaha and find out who it is. If you raise enough hell Yamaha will make a priority issue of taking care of you. The dealership is not being proactive enough, they're just seeing that it'll take 6 weeks or so to get a block or case and that's it.
I know how jobs like this work too. The mechanic will get the block and be halfway through the job and realize he forgot to order this or that part and you're waiting another 2 weeks, it's inevitable.

Yamaha prides itself in taking care of the customer, but you have to make yourself known and heard to them. I've seen them pull an entire R1 engine assembly off the line and send it to our dealership to take care of a customer with a motor that kept dropping the number 4 cylinder. Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, so go start squeaking.

Good Luck.

· Evil Inside
147 Posts
Dude that sucks big time. Hopefully your dealer will treat you right and get that bike fixed ASAP! Especially with the nice weather around the corner I couldn't imagine not having mine for two months!

· Registered
142 Posts
Ratchet255,

That sucks, sorry to hear that. :( I would take Loki900's advice and call your district rep. I'm sure that they'll wanna take care of this as quickly as possible, especially since it's a new model year bike. I haven't heard of any problems with the '02 bikes yet, and mine has been running fine since I bought it in Feb. Good luck and let us know how it all turns out! :)

· Bring it.
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I called YAMAHA today and it's not as bad as they first told me it would be. They said all the aprts were sent out May 1st and would be here in 5-7 days. Orginally they said the parts wouldn't even be shipped out until the end of the month. So i should have my bike back in a week . ALot betther then over 2 months!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.