Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Simon Says:
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I did it; I took a hammer and screwdriver to my brand new 04 R1. Sorry no pics, don't have a digi at home, but here's a quick rundown.

It took me about an hour for the whole process. It was a pretty simple disassemble, except for those STUPID PLASTIC FASTENERS under the tail about in the center of the edge. One hint, remove the pipe protectors first.

After I had the Y pipe out, I took a long flat head screw driver, the bigger the better, and started pounding at the seam, where the cat and pipe are, glued, mated, pressed, whatever?, and made my way around the outside trying to crush the cat. It took some finesse to get the major piece out, after it was loose since the pipe is tapered, but wasn't too bad. Put everything back together and viola, done. I want to mention here that there is no evidence of beating on the pipe on the outside or edges, use a piece of wood to rest the pipe on while you hammer on it, concrete or metal might cause the edge of the pipe to roll or distort.

So after a quick ride, here is what I noticed.

-No major exhaust note difference. Seems to actually be a little quieter, but hard to tell because the bike is still new and the exhaust pipes are still breaking in? Anyway, there is no major difference in sound, just a smoother flow sound.

-Doesn't look any different. Like I stated before I made sure not to damage the exterior of the pipe.

-Bike seems to run a little cooler. I was thinking that it ran a little hot compared to other bikes that I've rode/owned, accept of course for the Ducati's. The bike seems to run a few degrees cooler, however, I haven't spent a lot of time on the bike since I've removed it, but my first impression is that it has helped, a little.

-Performance, ah yes performance. I know I'll get flamed here no matter what I say, but :finger it. I know it’s not the best way to check performance on a bike, but when I'm ridding a bike, I like to see if the thing will pull up the front wheel in 3rd gear, which is quite a feat at my altitude (4500ft). I already know that a 600 with the right gearing will do it with a little help from the clutch, I know that already. Why do I do this? It seems like a stock, 1000 cc bike, may or may not bring it up in 3rd. It's a good judge of the bike according to my abilities. Ok enough with the blah blah blah. After I put about 300 miles on my 04, I tested it. I get in 3rd gear, sitting down, it need quite a bit of clutching to pull it up. AFTER THE MOD, hardly any clutch help. Plus the bike seems to be smoother and snappier. I know I got some kind of gain, even if its 1 or 2 hp, but if I can feel it, that’s all that matters to me.

I know that the barometric pressure, humidity, etc. all affect performance, but the bike does run smoother, and cooler. Not a huge difference, but definitely worth the $0.00 spent. Keep in mind I was very hesitant to do this, but after debating whether or not to spend $125 on an Akrapovic Y pipe to see if it made a difference over stock, I just did it.

Hope this helps confirm or deny the ambition for those out there thinking of doing this.

BRING ON THE SLIP-ON's

· Simon Says:
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did want to mention that the heat coming from the pipes near my legs, doesn't feel as hot. Logical thinking would tell me that the pipes are cooler due to less restriction. Feels like the case to me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.