Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, long time lurker here now looking for some help! I have a 07 R1 with 28,000kms (17,000miles)

My rotor pulled the infamous magnet disintegration trick on me. Took it to the mechanic and supplied him with a used OEM rotor and stator from a 07R1. The rotor is the new revised part number (sleeved), and the stators test fine outside the bike (resistance checks). However, when put together it only produces about 0.9V on a voltmeter.

I am being told that this has nothing to do with rectifier/regulator/fuses/wiring harnesses because those are all either upstream or downstream from where the mechanic thinks the problem is.

Anyone come across a situation like this? Any help would be greatly appreciated! My bike has been in the shop since September last year, and no one seems to know what to do, mechanic included. (i did a search for rotor/stator problems and none of those have the same issue i'm describing here)

·
Registered
87 Posts
so you are measuring AC voltage off the 3 whiles of the stator before it goes to the rectifier regulator? and you get 0.9V ac?

the resistance is fine, but what are the actual numbers?

if we are talking about measuring off the stator in AC. its just magnets spinning past a coil of wire, so the spacing between the stator and rotor would affect it. too big of a cap it doesnt make enough field. but if those parts are intended to go on your machine that should be correct to bolt on.

if you are talking DC voltage measure the AC off the stator

its a place to start at least

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks vdaytona --

Yes, the AC voltage was measured off the 3 wires before it goes to the r/r, and it read 0.9V.
the resistance was in spec with yamaha manual according to the mechanic (i wasnt there, so i can't confirm any numbers).

Also, it turns out the ebay supplier sent me the old part number (5VY) instead the revised sleeved rotor (2SH). But it should still work, right? The part doesn't look like it has any damage.

And yes, i confirmed that the shop was measuring AC voltage off the stator, and NOT DC.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and yes, the ECU is still working because the bike idles, and runs when connected to external power source.

·
Registered
87 Posts
well dang. with those numbers and test ahhhh. there are magnets on the stator right? and they are strong?

beyond that the only thing i can think of is the gap again. too much, cant make a field.

Anyone else have ideas?

dare we through another set of parts at it? know anyone with similar year that you could borrow their stator setup? i know thats annoying and work but really not THAT bad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes magnets are all strong (almost hard-drive magnet strong). Yeah you're right, i think I'll have to try a new rotor (im thinking the one from RMS Stator)

And unfortunately no, i live in small town (halifax) and everyone rides tiny little 300s out here. Haven't come across any fz08s/r1s that use this part.

I'm taking the bike to a different guy, i'll keep this post updated in the event anything interesting comes up, and any solutions. Thanks for your help man!

You think there's a possibility that the rotor can be incorrectly bolted on, like set too deep? Missing washer maybe? Another possibility is that the ground up magnets from the shredded rotor could be interfering with the magnetic field? Is that even in the realm of possibilities?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wouldn't the ground up magnets have been removed? Depth maybe. Parts diagram would show any spacers. Maybe just the wrong part in general?

·
2006 R1 LE #283
32 Posts
In my opinion, you should get the new stator and rotor. I just had to do the same on my 2006. I got the parts for $700 and did it myself. There is a thread here with a pretty good write-up on the process. It would have been a little cheaper but i had to get a new oil pan gasket too because 2 of the little rubber cush things fell down there when i pulled the stator cover off. I didn't know i needed to take the plug off the middle of the cover and hold the generator part in place while removing the cover. At least I got it right when i put it back together, lol.

·
Is there anybody out there?
4,059 Posts
The manual tells you to measure the resistance between the three stator wires but doesn't tell you to measure each leg to ground. It has to be mounted to the bike to measure. Have you done this?

Mark

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The manual tells you to measure the resistance between the three stator wires but doesn't tell you to measure each leg to ground. It has to be mounted to the bike to measure. Have you done this?

Mark
I'll get the shop to try that, thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
update for anyone interested in how this is going:

two different serviceable stators return the same result of insufficient voltage, leading my mechanic to think it is a bad rotor.

Ordering an RM Stator (because it's the most economical option, and it seems to be sufficiently engineered (unlike yamaha parts), so fingers crossed, this works!) I'll post a final update in a couple weeks when this should be resolved. Thanks all for your advice and help so far!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts