• battery

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • crankcasecrack

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been researching for 3 days now, trying to figure this out because my bike is my only transportation right now. i need help at this point. i have a month old agm battery and thats not the issue because even with a jump box or a battery charger it wont start. im assuming cdi at this point but i want advice before i go buy one.
i high sided it in september and rode it through the end of october. even after the accident my bike has always started within 5 seconds no problem. a few days ago it wouldnt start and i could smell fuel (exhause smelled like straight gas, but nothing leaking near the lines or pump), so i assumed it was flooded (maybe the float stuck open or the needle wasnt sealing fully) WOT and cranked it a few times, started up. stumbled a little and then ran perfect. fine at lunch time. same issue at the end of the work day. but it took a little longer to start this time.

the next morning the bike wouldnt start. 10 minutes and nothing. called my boss for a ride. while i was waiting for him i start checking the easy things. connections, fuses, battery voltage, blah blah blah. gave it one more shot and boom it starts. stumbles a little, then fine all the way to work. didnt go out at lunch. after work it wouldnt start. at all. 430 to 730, checked as much as i could. no spark on any cylinders. plugs are clean, fresh gas, hooked to a battery charger we use to start 426 hemis, plenty of power, chanking like a mad man, nothing. ready to give up. unplug the cdi and blow out the connector, rechecked the fuses, starts. stop for gas on the way home, fill up, wont start after. i was only up the street so i start walking it home, about a half of a block away i cranked it again, started right up. stalled like a rookie because i was so annoyed, started fine again. got home, shut it off. tried to immediately restart it and nothing. half hour later still wont start. 10 minutes later started with very little hesitation.

i have a hairline crack in the crankcase cover, read last night that could cause starting issues and one is already on its way so i will put that on as soon as it arrives.
like i said i have a brand new agm battery, and ive also tried starting it with a jump box, battery charger and with the 20 series agm battery out of my 2000 blaster (yes my blaster has a battery, and a winch.)
drained the gas and put fresh gas in with a little octane booster
checked the plugs and as many connections as i could find. im at a loss here.

any advice is sincerely appreciated.

· Is there anybody out there?
4,472 Posts
Check your main switch(key) for continuity. The plug is under the left fake carbon piece. Unplug it, turn your key on and check the resistance on the two small wires. Bet it will be high. The two small wires run through your starting circuit cut off relay to your CDI(ignition unit). If you have an intermittent connection on your main switch, you will have an intermittent spark. Check it several times. Turn the key off and then back on before checking again.

Mark

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check your main switch(key) for continuity. The plug is under the left fake carbon piece. Unplug it, turn your key on and check the resistance on the two small wires. Bet it will be high. The two small wires run through your starting circuit cut off relay to your CDI(ignition unit). If you have an intermittent connection on your main switch, you will have an intermittent spark. Check it several times. Turn the key off and then back on before checking again.

Mark
mark,
so..... after days of getting randomly stranded and more frustration than i care to admit....... if i wiggle the key while i start the bike it fires right up. youre a life saver. tell me how ive been talking to the techs at the yamaha dealer (who only suggest buying all kinds of replacement parts) and researching everything.. to no avail. and you pull it off in 2 seconds over the internet without ever seeing the bike. you deserve an award man.

· Is there anybody out there?
4,472 Posts
Uhh...it happened to me and I went through the same thing minus Yamaha techs. After a couple of weeks with the bike cutting out, I finally found my main switch bad. What I did was wired a toggle switch and use the key for steering lock only. Napa auto part #TG6145. About 10-12 bucks. I mounted it up front on the center fairing bracket. I was the only one who knew how it worked so I wasn't too worried about theft.

Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.