Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate the smell of fried wiring, so I could use some help here. I stored my 2000 R1 the right way, keeping a trickle charge on all winter. The bike initially started up fine, and I rode it for a week. However, I was going to take it to an appointment the other day and it would not start. However, when I took the seat off, I discovered some smoke coming from beneath the seat. The hot lead from the battery is a short, heavy guage wire that connects to a "box" with two fuses in it. At that connection to the "box" there was smoke and it was freakin hot! I suspect a bad ground? The battery was purchased at the end of last season, I trickled it all winter. Guages flicker pretty heavily upon startup, and the damn RPM guage will wind all the way out and back even during a normal drive. Sometimes it will stick at about 5k, even though the motor is reving at 3. Any idears? Thanks!:fork

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update

I checked the battery w/a voltmeter last night, along with the ground, and all is well there...When I hit the starter, I just get a pop that comes from "under" the seat. I think I have pinpointed where it is coming from, but haven't figured out WHY. The box is the start relay assembly that creates the "pop." Should I replace it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.