Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

I found my r1!

3K views 123 replies 16 participants last post by  jsp1990 
#1 ·
hi all,

I am new to this forum and looking for a 2007/2008 R1

How can someone distinct a 4V or a 5V engine?

Which is better to buy and what to look out for?

#56 ·
Go look and see if the yellow dot is aligned with the stem, if it is, then yes, it's good. If it's not, you should probably mount and balance your own tires or find another shop.

So far as alignment goes, it's not very difficult, there are spacers on the axles, the swingarm is marked and if you tighten everything in order, it lines itself up.

I'm not trying to trash talk the shop you used or anything, just stating some facts. If they can't even line up the balance dot, and complain that it's hard to align the tires, I have zero faith in them.

#58 ·
Different folks have different opinions. I'll also make the caveat that the valve stem is not always the heavy part of the rim (although it is on my r1, my bandit and the r6), so it's possible that they balanced the naked rim, marked it and then lined up the dot.

Track guys say it's pointless to even put weights on a rim, but they are a little harder on tires than the average customer.

Ultimately, it's your bike bro, I did feel a need to point it out. If it rides fine and there isn't too much weight on it, it's probably fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.