Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

I am new to this forum and looking for a 2007/2008 R1

How can someone distinct a 4V or a 5V engine?

Which is better to buy and what to look out for?

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,291 Posts
The 5 valve genesis motor struggled to move air fuel at the top of the rev range (lots of study was done) so they moved to a standard 4 valve flat plane with titanium valves. The valves on the 07-08 are prone to fail because it's tough to heat treat titanium so in 09 they went to steel. Moved to a cross plane crank though. Really what you want is up to you. If I had it all to do over I'd probably either get an 06 or a 14. The 07-08 are real power houses and they are extremely light though. And I do adore mine.

When buying a used bike the usual applies. Look at the chain and the tires, this will tell you a lot about the overall care the bike has had given to it. Also check the fork seals. Look at the swing arm, is it all cruddy from grime and chain grease? Or is it ***** and span? Ask about service history, look at mileage etc.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so 07-08 are prone to fail valves?

I found a few but, not the correct colour.
Is it hard to change colour?

Or the mileage is too high or too low and a lot or owners.

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,291 Posts
On the 00-06 the geometry is bad so the guides fail. On the 07-08 the titanium valves are prone to fail. You have to watch them. When they drop it's nasty. The cross planes can be hard to start.

Everything is a trade off.

If you want reliably, get a honda civic.

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,291 Posts
Just keep up with the maintenance bud. No need to reinvent the wheel. They are great machines. It's good to know what to look out for. On the genesis motors 00-06 that's worn guides and loose keepers. On the 07-08 it's loose keepers. On the 09-14 it's hard starts. They all have their quirks. So do Daytonas, ninjas, blades etc. Every machine has a little bit of personality.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been looking around already.

Few things,

1. or the mileage is falsified and average price
2. or the low mileage genuine and price too high
3. too many owners before
4. many scratches
5. wrong fairings and probably ex circuit rider
6. bad starts on a 06/07?
7. bade maintained ones.
8. so many things that can go wrong

I want a black one so looking around, not many around at the moment.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Get a used MT-10 if you’re commuting. Way newer, way cheaper, way more comfortable, way more reliable, wheelies all day long, and cruise control. Crossplane sounds killer, especially with a pipe. Check them out.

·
I miss my R1
3,672 Posts
If you're commuting just get an FZ-07 (or even an FZ-03, depending on how fast you have to travel during your commute ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes its fine. I want so bad a black 08. Its only 50mls daily commute. Looking around already.

MT is out of budget atm a lot here 7K euros not my budget atm.

I am looking for 5K euro max.

Maybe this one:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I skipped this black one because 10h drive to there....... I am looking in the neighbourhood now again...... Another one for 3k but, fairings badly painted.

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,291 Posts
What are Loose keepers ?
At the top of the valve there are keepers. They are a collet style part, like a cone. They get wedged into their seat by the spring and interface with the valve to pull it up after the cam pushes it down.

They are lubricated with molybdenum disulfide grease.

Over time they wear as does the valve.

After they fail, the valve shoots down into the piston. It's bad news.

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,291 Posts
It's a part that wears. The intake valves on the '07-'08 r1 are titanium with a thin (think microns) coating. That's what makes it worse. They don't make stainless valves because they would require different springs and geometry to work right. So we are stuck with just keeping an eye on the valves.

Just part of the nature of a super bike bud.

Some reading:

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,291 Posts
so replacing them is a good idea?
Regular inspection of the valve train and proper lubrication are a good idea. Definitely replace them any time you remove the valves. Also replace the head gasket if you remove the valves. Could you get by reusing keepers or a head gasket? Maybe. Is it worth the risk? In my opinion, no.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts