Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 R1 I just got it. I got it from a guy who knows no mechanical stuff at all. He could not get the bike running and He had it all torn down. I got it and quicly noticed the fuel pump was not working, well the connection was loose. Plugged it in better and the bike started right up. The problem is when I hit the brakes the dash cluster will dim and the headlight will dim. What is the problem? Also the bike has a Vance & Hines slip on what kind is the best for these bikes? I heard V&H are no good, but I don't know. Thank you for any and all help.. Ricky..:bow

·
NeeD 4 SpeeD
5,441 Posts
probably something is shorted .
check the rear brake light , does it work when u hit the brakes?
check the rear brake light wiring .

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brake light works, the wiring looks like new. Everything works fine but turn signals I am waiting on my new flushmounts so I have no front signals. I am guessing this is why they do not flash.

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
Brake light works, the wiring looks like new. Everything works fine but turn signals I am waiting on my new flushmounts so I have no front signals. I am guessing this is why they do not flash.
inside the left hand fairing above where the turn signal mounts there are a few plugs. there is a white one with many wires. unplug it and clean it, then fill it and ALL the other plugs on the bike with dilectric grease.:fact

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any special kind of dielectric grease that I need to buy. I read about that yesterday. I am going to try it.. Thank you guys for the help Ricky..

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
Any special kind of dielectric grease that I need to buy. I read about that yesterday. I am going to try it.. Thank you guys for the help Ricky..
i use the common 'permaseal' brand avaliable in a small tube avaliable at most auto stores. it really is GREAT stuff, especially in that troublesome white plug i mentioned. pull it apart, i bet there is green corrosion on the pins inside.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found a green spot on the big harness. I cleaned it and put some bulb grease ( it's all I have since no stores are open today) on it and put it back together, same problem as before. Well the harness next to the big one is a little bit smaller and is a 4 pin harness I noticed it is getting very hot. It is actually getting to hot to touch. What all does this go to. One side I traced back to the ignition switch. I need a new solenoid maybe that is why it is getting hot..

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys have to hate NOOB's. I just found the sticky at the top of the page. I think I am going to look for a picture of the regulator and look at mine to see if it is what my problem is. I have two gauge clusters for my bike, one goes completely out when I hit the brakes and the other on just gets dim.

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
You guys have to hate NOOB's. I just found the sticky at the top of the page. I think I am going to look for a picture of the regulator and look at mine to see if it is what my problem is. I have two gauge clusters for my bike, one goes completely out when I hit the brakes and the other on just gets dim.
we don't hate noobs that at least try to help themselves.:thumbup just keep going over all the electricals one by one, and you'll get there.:hellobye

·
-.-- .- -- .- .... .-
3,305 Posts
I would un-plug the tail light. Then see if it still does it, if it doesnt... then it's in the tail light.
If it does, get an ohm meter and check the yellow wire @ tail light plug to ground. Should be open, if it shows any resistance, then you would have to track down the cause.
The only thing that the brake sw's goes to is tail light. Front sw, to rear sw, then tail light.

Think its a yellow wire, oldest diagram I have is for 02. Anyway, just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will try that. I took a test light to it to see if any power was going into the light and back out to any other wires but it did nothing.. Thanks..

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well after looking for the regulator, took me a few minutes to find it but I did. I found the middle wire boken and melted along with the others being melted a little. I could not unplug the harness. I had to pry it out. I cut the wires and put individual connectors on them and hooked them back up and I still have the same problem. Lights dim when I hit the brakes.I guess I need a regulator. I also got my flushmounts today and of course they are the wrong ones. The guy on ebay listed the wrong years. Mine are kinda oval and the ones I got are shaped kinda like an old vampire coffin they used to show in older movies. Also the plugs are a funky triangle shape as where mine are individual plugs..

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
Well after looking for the regulator, took me a few minutes to find it but I did. I found the middle wire boken and melted along with the others being melted a little. I could not unplug the harness. I had to pry it out. I cut the wires and put individual connectors on them and hooked them back up and I still have the same problem. Lights dim when I hit the brakes.I guess I need a regulator. I also got my flushmounts today and of course they are the wrong ones. The guy on ebay listed the wrong years. Mine are kinda oval and the ones I got are shaped kinda like an old vampire coffin they used to show in older movies. Also the plugs are a funky triangle shape as where mine are individual plugs..
ahh yes, the old regulator/rectifiyer problem! it was common for this to happen when the plugs were never cleaned/maintained. so back to my other post. fill the plug or individual connectors with dilectric grease to prevent it again. and yes you need a new reg.:fact

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On the flushmounts I just read on another ebay kit it said they come with a fairing adapter does anyone know what they are talking about?

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
On the flushmounts I just read on another ebay kit it said they come with a fairing adapter does anyone know what they are talking about?
never heard of a fairing adaptor. what flushmount brand did you buy? and post a pic.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They do not show a brand name and I do not know how to put a pic on this site I have tried to put my bike up for my avatar 100 times and it always says upload failed.

·
-.-- .- -- .- .... .-
3,305 Posts
I took a test light to it to see if any power was going into the light and back out to any other wires but it did nothing.. Thanks..
Need a meter, guess you could hook the test light to +12, then to the brake light wire(with tail light disconnected). Should get No hint of light.
What did it do with tail light un-plugged, and brakes on?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
with the brake light unplugged it does nothing all lights stay bright. When I hook the test light to the B+ and the yellow wire on the taillight it lights up and when I hit the brakes it goes dim but stays lit..

·
busa racing r1 stunna
23 Posts
had the same thing happen to my honda and it was the stator starting to go out. this is what you do hook up your test meter to the tail light wires and see how much juice is going to the lights in the back if its not around 12 volts check your grounds sounds like a bad ground somewhere.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I put a new R/R on it and it still does the same thing. I tested the white wires going to the R/R and two put out 8.4 -8.9 ~ volts and the third only put out 4.7 ~volts. Does it sound like the stator is bad. When I run the bike and ride it it never dies and always starts the bike fine. Never a dead battery. I even did the test where I put the meter on ohms and put the red lead on the battery + and touch the white wires to hear a beep and it did not beep on any of them.. I don't know what to do next.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.