Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im planning od doin sme tewakin this winter. just curious as to see who is pullin for what. pros and cons of both nos and the graves cams setup. who is running them - how do you like it? how was the install / reliability of both

·
Frank the Tank RPTB
6,226 Posts
I went with Nos...easy to install, dont have to pull the motor, and nice power gains with the push of a button,lol.....but the cams will be my next investment for sure.....Larry

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
You have to pull the motor to install cams???

·
Banned
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah - head has to come off to getto the valve springs and retainers and shit, degree the cam and all> i just dont know what to do, ,the cams and everything needed is over 900$ the nos setup from tobefast.com is $660 something for EVERYTHING - whoknows?

·
Administrator
31,051 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Ive always been tempted to try NOS, is it a thing you can install yourself or is it one of things thats best left for the pro's to do.

·
Administrator
31,051 Posts
R1LOON said:
Ive always been tempted to try NOS, is it a thing you can install yourself or is it one of things thats best left for the pro's to do.
A dry nitrous kit is fairly straight forward.... The wet kits are pretty detailed if you have never done one before.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
SpidermanSS said:
A dry nitrous kit is fairly straight forward.... The wet kits are pretty detailed if you have never done one before.
Whats the difference between Dry and Wet systems?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Get the camshafts. The nitrous is less work but the cams will give you a lot of extra power. If you know a professional engine builder they can normally make you a cam cheaper than what Graves makes. Also it is easier on the engine. I would also recommend while the head is off do a velocity port job, not a normal port job. You will notice a difference. I got a price quote from a builder for $800 for everything.

·
Banned
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the cams will give you power yes - but around 10 in the mid and 3-4 up top - the nos gives you a bit more than that right? nos is probably more reliable during the life of an engine b/c im not gonna use it all the time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I guess what you need to ask yourself is are you just going to use it sometimes or do you want the power all the time. If you are like me and you get from point a to point b as fast as possible the camshaft is the way to go. But if you just need the power sometimes go for the nitrous. The camshafts mostly give you power in the mid to upper range of the rpm's. If you lighten your crankshaft and have it balanced you can reach revs as high as 12,500 if set up right.

·
Banned
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
im really stuck on what to do - the nos is a lil cheaper and i dont really have to open up the engine - the cams are nice , cost a lil more and may eventually cause a lil more wear than expected - with the bumped comp ratio - who knows

·
Old and slow.
176 Posts
the cams are nice , cost a lil more and may eventually cause a lil more wear than expected - with the bumped comp ratio - who knows
:confused:

Cam's don't affect compression ratio, nor would they cause any more wear than the original cams. I assume the reason you have to pull the head off is to replace the valve springs with stiffer springs. Some cams don't require them though. In the long run, I would say that NOS is going to cost you just as much (if not more) just because you have to refill the bottle every so often. Also IMHO anything more than a 40-50hp nos shot (on a regular basis) is going to hurt a stock motor.

·
Banned
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i though that puttin a smaller head gasket and having smaller tolerances in the engine lead to higher comression - ok then. the nos refills are pretty cheap believe it or not. the bottle is 2.5 lbs and its damn cheap per pound - i forgetthe exact amount

·
Registered
73 Posts
You will only change your compression if you shave the head and if you are crazy fill the camber with metal to make it smaller. Just remember nitrous is harder on your pistons and valves than a cam is. The reason why is that nitrous is an oxidizer and it makes the fuel burn at a lot higher temperatures so you can literally burn your valves, and pistons. I ran a car with nitrous and it literally blew a hole in the middle of the piston. Just be careful.

·
Banned
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
isnt shaving the head (closer tolerances) the same as puttin a smallerhead gasket on? good advice on the burning though - i will prob go for the cams setup thanx man

·
Registered
73 Posts
You gotta look at how mutch thinner the new gasket is. normally if it is about .03" smaller than stock that can help you, or between 1/4-1/2 of a millimeter thinner. But i suggest if you want to go for a higher compression go for pistons with a larger head.

·
Banned
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
by the time i buy all the parts and pay for install - itll be pretty expensive

1 - 20 of 26 Posts