Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Hooligan
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got home from the show in New York. The R1 really got a lot of attention. I'll post some pics tomorrow. It is better looking that I imagined. The ergos seem about perfect for me and the weight distribution also seems just right. The tail section even looks good. I am sold on the silver, but I'd be happy with either red or blue too. They all look good. There are small lights in the upper corners of the headlights. They are running lights for Europe and will not be functional in the US. This means that they will be there but not connected. I'm already getting ideas about using them. The seat looks thin but its comfortable. I'll bet it will be pretty good on extended rides. No high idle switch. Startup is all computer controlled. They stock can even looks good. Dunlop tires.:butt All this and they screw up with the tires; but I guess if it has to have a flaw that can be it. You know its something special when you see all the guys from Honda and Kawazuki in the Yamaha booth looking this thing over. I love this bike and now that I have sat on one, this winter is going to be extremely long and cruel.

Other show news. The Ducati race replicas are very sweet and as much as I hate to admit it, the Suzi-Q TL1000R looks like a very nice ride. The Aprilia Capo Nord is even uglier than the BMW R1150GS. The new color scheme for the Mille is nice. Honda showed the 954 and a bunch of 2003 models. The front end of the 954 looks even more ridiculous in person. I really like the new ST1300 for 2003. Very nice! Honda also had some wild custom cruisers. Yamaha was showing some custom cruisers too. The new Buell still doesn't make it in my book and I finally saw a V-Rod. Let me tell all of you how disappointed I am. It looks like its made out of cheap plastic. I was honestly hoping that Harley would have something good here but they missed the mark by a long shot. I doubt the performance will matter because the styling will keep it from selling.:(

I saw a pinhead drop an R6 at everyones feet.:iamwithst What an idiot! Five minutes later I saw a guy drop a Gold Wing. Half of these people had no business being on bikes. You wouldn't believe how many got on and off from the wrong side. Anyway it was a good show and I am seriously excited to get my R1 now.:cool:

·
I eat my R1
136 Posts
I saw the R1 at the show in San Mateo, and I totally agree with you. After seeing it and sitting on it, February seems a long, long way off. Too bad the running lights aren't connected, though.

·
Hooligan
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I've unloaded my digital camera. My pictures are identical to the ones in the Pictures pages here. So rather than waste space and time I'm not going to upload any.

Those pockets for the running lights just mean turn signals or strobes or something like that. You could also just connect them if you wanted to.

No Boost King. Honda had something similar to it though. Arai had a helmet there that I would love to buy. It's Yamaha blue with orange and red Haga flames on it. They haven't decided if they will produce it yet though.

I've got a serious jones for riding right now. Maybe I'll fire up my old BSA 441VS and make some tracks in the snow.

·
I should be Riding.....
147 Posts
the bike show starts February 1 in ohio. i knew better than to wait. i have a silver on order. my dealer is only getting a total of 6. 2 blue 2 red 2 silver.
still a long winter to come.:puke

·
I'm wheelie nuts
458 Posts
Wow, a lot of people here with silver R1's on order including yours truly! Thanks for the update Smokeeater! But like you I have a serious itch to ride:cryin If only I had an on/off road! Oh well thanks again for buoying everyone (at least those of us in the snowy areas)!!!!

P.J.

·
988 Of 1000 !!
988 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts