Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
performance first
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says I have had a couple of orings on my DID 520 erv 3 chain break and I am wondering what is up This has happend within the last month. The chain has 2500 miles on her.. I do regular matinance on her and I am wondering if this is do to chain stretch. I was looking at a few sites and if I have to replace the chain will go with the EK 520 MVXZ as it has about 500 lbs greater tensile strength.:)

·
performance first
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump

·
R190-`Tyre Fryer`
2,683 Posts
i had the same thing happen did erv3.

started seeing broken x rings at around 2000km, probably 30% failed by 5000km.

the x rings keep lube in the rollers, i just made sure i lubed it after every ride. got ~10000km out of it before it started needing frequent adjustment and had to be replaced.

·
R190-`Tyre Fryer`
2,683 Posts

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
bryan are your sprockets perfectly aligned? x rings should not fail, and if they do, there is a REASON for it. finding it might take some searching though.i cant see changing brands of chains only, fixing whatever 'problem' there is though.

·
R190-`Tyre Fryer`
2,683 Posts
Out of curiosity, why not? My manual calls for kerosene specifically.

Thanks

AK
i always used wd40 to clean chains, that chain i cleaned in kero. I cant see how a little kero can weaken x rings though i am just superstitious about it ;)

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
No, it doesn't say lube it, it says to clean it in kerosene. How are you supposed to lube it in kerosene? It dries in like 1 minute. Was just wondering if there was a reason now for not using kerosene.

Ak
lol, i knew what you meant, but the other two were giving wd40 crap about being a 'fancy' kero. go back and read the sarcasm in the post.:secret:

·
performance first
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is funny you mention chain aligment as the 2 orings that broke are on the outside of the chain not the inside. The Alignment is dead straight as I can see and have had checked but I will check again. I clean my chain with the motul stuff and the little brush and then lube it with the factory line motul stuff. I do not have a tool to check at my house but give me some simple ways to do it. Would like to coreect the problem before I get a new chain.:)

·
THE MAN
3,743 Posts
www.rhinomoto.com

these people make a neat little chain alignment tool. I bought one and have been very happy with it so far. Works on every late model sport bike I have tried, though it's a tight fit on the carbed R6's.

Just a thought.

·
performance first
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
www.rhinomoto.com

these people make a neat little chain alignment tool. I bought one and have been very happy with it so far. Works on every late model sport bike I have tried, though it's a tight fit on the carbed R6's.

Just a thought.
Sweet, how much does it cost. Getting a list for things to get over the winter.:)

·
THE MAN
3,743 Posts
$150 Kinda pricey, but I work on allot of bikes, and with this I know when they leave that the rear wheel is actually straight. Makes me feel better :)

·
performance first
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not a problem if the rear wheel is perfectly straight.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.